Is nc50 seized? Winder is stuck help please

Hi all I have been given a old nc50 express 1978 it has been left in a garage since 1999 until now. Anyway the problem I have is that the winder/starter pedal I know needs to be cranked or wound around 3 or 4 compressions before pulling back brake to fire here up but the winder pedal seems stuck. It does not make the winding sound and moves about half a inch from the top before stoping solid. :( almost like it would when fully cranked up. So I'm wondering does this mean engine is seazed? Any help much appreciated thanks

Re: Is nc50 seized? Winder is stuck help please

Noah Belkhayat /

you could take apart the transmission case and have a look see. There are teeth on the L cover side of the starter sprocket that meet teeth on the engine side. Maybe something is jamming you up in there. It's my understanding that all your doing when cranking is tightening down a spring, so theres probably something going on with the spring/starter sprocket interface

The winder pedal is jot directly connected to the engine at all. Either the starter mechanism is seized or the assembly is already wound and will not release.

Thanks guys well that's giving me a bit of hope that the engine isn't seized then. My knowledge is very little but I am hopeing if I remove the cover the problem may be easy to see?? Haha probably wishfully thinking. Tonight I will have a good look at the rear brake mechanism and see if maybe it's not pulling it enough to release and maybe it is fully wound already. Fingers crossed anyway and thanks. Anymore info or ideas much appreciated.

Remove the stator side cover and try to turn the engine over by hand.

The long white cover by the start pedal you meen is it mate? And sorry to sound stupid but how do I turn it by hand? Which part? Thanks for help

No, the other side of the engine where the stator/generator is. Take the cover off, place your hand on the flywheel, and twist.

Ah ok I see what you mean mate thanks I will give that a go in the morning and keep you posted thanks

Before you start taking things apart make sure that cable is seated and adjusted properly at the spring release lever. You can manually push it forward to see if it will release that wound up spring. Follow the rear brake cable to below the carb you will see a small lever sticking out of the creamy case.

If it pops then ratchet it up again and adjust the play on the cable until it can be actuated by the rear brake lever. If it doesn't pop then you have bigger issues.

If you take the plug out can you rotate the flywheel by hand?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account