2005 tomos, problems getting it back on the road, won't run well

Hello, thought some of you gurus may be able to help me, I have a 2005 tomos St, it has been sitting with no use for three years ( stuffed into the back of my garage). It ran great before I let it sit, I had done: del or to 15:15 carb, exhaust, 70 cc airs Al kit, oil inject delete, and sprocket upgrades.

I decided it is a great summer to go ride, and I have a little time and money to get it going. I cleaned the carb, and fuel tank and it will only start on full throttle choked. Dies if I let off the throttle at all. Spent another hour re cleaning the carb twice, hooked up remote fuel source, checked my intake, reeds, etc.

Not the best mechanic and I just can't figure out why it doesn't want to run, it ran awesome before I neglected it for three years? Anybody have an Idea?

Re: 2005 tomos, problems getting it back on the road, won't run well

I know you said you cleaned the carb twice.... but did you clean the idle circuit? I hate to sound like a broken record but many people (including me) have missed this. I think i cleaned the carb 5 times on my targa before i found a tiny blockage in the idle circuit.

this hole here bud

dell_orto_carb_idle_jet_hole.jpg

Thanks! It's funny because I missed that one on the first cleaning... it was all blocked up, I really thought I had fixed it at that point! But no change. Does the float or needle "go bad"? That carb is so simple I feel like I really can't have missed much!

have you taken the slack outta the throttle cable so the choke clicks off when you snap the throttle wide open ?

then, idle screw all the way in then back out 2 1/2 - 3 turns

usually when the float needle goes fuel leaks outta the carb. (edited)

Ok, so it looks like I may have actually missed that low speed hole... I was looking at the wrong side of the carb... wow stupid mistake... will clean and see it it helps! Thanks again guys!!! Even after you told me about it I missed it, thanks for the pic!

I did the same thing.

Runs like a top! 43 mph on the flat! Stalls at idle, but that should just be some tuning! Thanks again

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account