vespa ciao erratic idle

mike mazzara /

my first post here, my 1974 vespa will idle sometimes, but will cut out when it gets hot. I have fushed out the gas tank twice, cleaned the carb twice. it"s getting gas. is it possible it"s losing spark at lower rpm"s? I put in a new ngk plug last night and it ran for 10 min. ok didn't stall, but I don"t think that cured it. how do I get to the points? looks like it"s behind the clutch to pull the flywheel.

Re: vespa ciao erratic idle

Could be the crank seal heating up then leaking. Or one of the gaskets.

Check for spark once it's warmed up. Put the plug against the head and cranks it over.

The condenser could also be going bad. It's the small cylinder under the flywheel.

Yes you need to pull the clutch, and then the engine then remove flywheel to REALLY to get into the ignition system.

mike mazzara /

thanks for the reply, I just rode it for 15 min. it"s 90 deg. outside, and it runs perfect, not stalling, go figure. I find it hard to believe that putting in the right plug could make that much difference. that and putting a new clear gas line. it seems to be idling kind of fast, but there is no idle adj. screw just the mixture screw on the carb. is there any other way to adj. idle speed?

Double Trouble Dan /

drill holes in the air box

mike mazzara /

how is that going to slow the idle down? it will idle ok when cool, but seems to not wan"t to idle when hot. I think it"s losing spark when hot. the coil seems to get preety warm, is that normal? is it normal to have to hold the decompesser open while I crank it for a half a turn for it to start when hot?

That screw is the idle adjustment, not air fuel mix.

Dirty30 Dillon /

CasseLOLers Tyler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That screw is the idle adjustment, not air fuel

> mix.

Boom

mike mazzara /

ok, that's good to know, it looked like a mixture screw, thanks.

mike mazzara /

tonight I took it for a long ride, after about 4 miles it just cut out, after I walked about 10 min. it started back up and ran ok. I think the coil is getting to hot. is it supposed to get to hot to touch, the metal laminates, not the coil itself? something is getting hot, any other posabilities?

Did it stop and lock up the rear wheel? Did it die at full throttle or at idle? Did it slowly die or what?

mike mazzara /

it just quit running at 15mph, started back up after it cooled down, engine turned over fine, I think it"s losing spark when hot.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account