Tomos Streetmate Trans Problems?

john cervini /

So I relined the 1st gear clutch with cork from Napa. It's shifting better. When I try to roll it backwards it's like the chain is catching on something or ?? Something is binding and not letting it roll backwards smoothly. It does it if it's running or not. Any ideas?

Re: Tomos Streetmate Trans Problems?

I think my st does that. Otherwise it's fine(I think)

The solution is to only go forwards as fast as you can.

Did you install the washers and spring that go between the transmission cover and the pedal arm (outside of the transmission)

john cervini /

No pedal arm. It's a kick start A55.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

don't worry too much about it. you would not like what it entails to fix it.

its a bad oneway rollercage bearing inside of the gearset, its supposed to freespin when backing up. it requires a specialty bearing puller that is $20 more than a new gearset.

So, Slew Foot.......I have a '96 A35 LX. When I roll it backwards (not running). the pedal shaft catches randomly. Same issue? No big deal, of course - just curious.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

if you move the pedal forward, before backing up. it will not catch. i think they all do it. or it might be backwards i is dyslexic.

diagram of culprit

gearseta.JPG

I believe you're right on the forward-pedal thing. It tends to do it after I kick it over in the garage and then back it out. No way in hell I'd break the thing down just to fix that :D

Which, of course, contradicts my original comment....but I realized that it doesn't really matter whether or not it's running. Either way, screw it ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account