Towny: Can front tire be used on rear?

rick partsunknown /

Hi. I just received an IRC NR77, size 2.25-14, tire for the rear of my 1982 Yamaha Towny. This tire was identified as being suitable for front or rear on website. However, I now see it states “front only” on the sidewall. I called the store and they said I should send it back and not use on the rear.

Question: Is it safe to use a “front” tire on the rear of a Yamaha Towny since it only goes about 30 mph?

Thanks.

Rick

Re: Towny: Can front tire be used on rear?

QT50 I have that same tire on both front and rear no prob, Also I'm 260lb, avrage speed 33mph That tire is rated way over what weight and speed you will be using it for it will be fine.

rick partsunknown /

Thanks! It looks much more substantial than the bicycle tire that is currently on the rear.

I feel better about being on the road and I'm sure you will notice the difference.

I have been riding motorcycles and mopeds for 40 years and have never saw one that said front only. I saw some that with arrow this direction only but what goes in front should go in rear, air pressure is more important.

Agreed proper air pressure is important.

IRC NR-77 moped tire - 14 x 70/90

(edited)

IMG_20140627_091142.jpg

rick partsunknown /

Thanks Arlie for showing the photo. That is exactly the tire I have. Was any modification of your fender needed for that tire?

How does it know its on the rear?

Steve Clark It doesn't but on a full size motorcycle I would think the back tire supports more weight and takes a little more abuse than the front.

Rick yes I had to bend the fender brackets a little. Was very easy.

Very little clearance. I could grind them out for a little more room, but I ride them all the time and there great. (edited)

020.JPG
019.JPG

rick partsunknown /

Man! I just put the IRC NR77, size 2.25-14, on the back and a Shinko SR714, size 2.25 -16, on front. These work amazingly well on the Towny. The tires I took off (bicycle tires) were hazardous, to say the least.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account