1980 Peugeot 102 Carb Issues?

john cervini /

So i just got this yesterday. Cleaned it up some today and removed the Gurtner carb to clean. It wasn't very dirty but i cleaned everything. I initially had no spark and found the points were sticking. Got those free and cleaned as well. It will start and rev good sometimes but always dies out. It seems like a fuel issue but this is the first gurtner for me so i'm a little lost. The needle that goes through the float had some rust so i cleaned that up. The last pug 102 i had was using a 14:12 carb. If the carb is the problem i have a few spare 14:12 carbs i could put on but i'm just curious if there are common problems with the gurtners that i may be able to fix. Thanks!

Re: 1980 Peugeot 102 Carb Issues?

Those carburetors are notorious for stalling out by the most microscopic pieces of debris in them. I am guessing if it runs, but always dies out that your seals are probably dried up. Need replaced. I think they might take the same as 103's but I am not positive about that. Mine ran a real easy 35+ mph, but now it's main bearings are waiting for me to get time for a replacement.

yeah that carb is too dirty to be reliable. Like DeeZy says, when they work they can be gold for stock application. They are the same carb as a 103 as well, just 10mm or 12mm.

One thing I can tell you for sure is if this channel is not clear and flowing fuel, the bike will never idle.

You need to be able to spray carb cleen up through this hole from the other end.

I still bet his seals are shot as well.

john cervini /

You were right cheetah. Pulled the carb apart and boiled in lemon juice then blew everything out. Running good now! Thanks!

Always run some sort of inline paper element filter. It will help you in the future by eliminating the possibility of blocked fuel passages when your diagnosing run problems.

Your welcome, glad I got one right Ha Ha.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account