Questions about air intake and upjetting!

Alright guys. I've got a 1976 Yamaha Chappy that is running fine. I got to this point by putting a microfiber cloth in between the air hose and the air filter box.

It's jammed in there nice and snug.

Without it the Chappy gets too much air and doesn't start. Yes, I do have a Chappy air filter popped in there. I also checked for air leaks and neutralized one. (Haven't found any others yet.)

Would it be smart to just leave it in there? Or will this eventually cause damage?

Would it be smarter to just up jet and remove the microfiber cloth?

Or would it be smartEST to just buy a clamp on filter and see if that helps some?

Thoughts guys?

Re: Questions about air intake and upjetting!

Is your carburetor functioning correctly and has clean passageways and jets inside?

It would be smartest to find the air leak/clogged jet. The rag will jot cause damage but the underlying problem it masks will.

*.* H Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is your carburetor functioning correctly and has

> clean passageways and jets inside?

Yeah. I took the whole thing apart and blasted it with carb cleaner!

Just spraying carb cleaner doesn't cut it. Did you physically clear the jets and passages out with a piece of thin wire? Even the smallest bit of unseen crud can interfere with how the carb functions.

I'm going to do the thin wire trick. I've overlooked that part. That crud loves to cause havoc.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account