Starting a NC50.

Well I have just acquired a Honda NC50 Express that was made in 1978. It is missing some important parts. All the hand controls. Handle bars are bare. No speedo or ignition switch. Or bucket. Wanting to see if motor fires before I start ordering lots of parts. What wires have to be connected to make it fire. Once I find out it will pop with some starting fluid. It's game time. All wires and cables are there just no switches. Just ordered a new battery. It had the original in it. Oh yea carburetor has a broken float bowl. I'm in for a fun restoration on this one

Re: Starting a NC50.

You are in for spending more money than the bike is worth, but a labor of love is worth something.

To get spark all you need is the B/W Wire from the stator connected to the coil that must be bolted in place to be grounded properly. The kill switch must not be on nor the wire leading to it grounded. You will immediately blow any lights that are connected if the ignition and battery are not all in order once it fires if you try. With a busted carb, it's far off.

First I kinda knew Ill be spending more than its worth. I enjoy making things run. As for carb's. Is there an aftermarket one that would be better. I already have built a killer Schwinn Heavy Duti with a 66cc skyhawk. Will a 2 stroke NT carb work on this. Same aprox size engine. Might have to make a flange for it but everything else looks good. I'm going to be mixing my own fuel anyways.

Pictures are comming

Don't use Chinese bike kit carbs, you will be asking for trouble. Its not too difficult to bolt an adapter to the stock intake with some modifications and attach a different carb. You will likely lose the cable choke though. Treatland carries them and they would be for an sha to go onto a motobecane av7, or a garelli VIP. You will have to elongate the mounting holes and make a gasket or use appropriate sealant. You can also replace the entire intake and there are specific pieces there for doing that. That is a more direct option but is more expensive and performance oriented (larger intake and carbs).

So I looked At a Mikuni VM20 for a 2 stroke there is a bunch of different options how to get it but that one every one talks about is the 20mm flange mount. Will that mount directly to the intake I have. I ask because the Weak ends intake for it is sold out right now.

No it will not and the vm20 is truly massive for a stock or even lightly modified bike. Look into a vm18.

So what do you need to make a VM 18 work on our bikes. Stock bike.

I need to know what adapters to use / intake. And what recommended jets for the vm18

I ordered all the hand controls and grips, battery, break levers, headlight bucket with working speedometer and ignition switch with key. I'm now into bike for a total of $237. That includes price of scooter. Think I'm doing pretty good once I get it running I'm going to disassemble the bike and powder coat it in Honda red and white.

Dremel the holes inward a couple millimeters, make a gasket or use fuel resistant RTV. https://www.treatland.tv/garelli-VIP-malossi-intake-p/garelli-malossi-intake-024690b.htm

https://www.treatland.tv/mikuni-vm-18mm-p/mikuni-18mm-vm-round-slide.htm That will clamp to a PHBG intake with the right shim.

As for jets I couldn't give you a specific jet for the carb. I don't keep my stuff stock. It will likely be in the low-mid 70's but maybe someone else can chime in. Kitted bikes with pipes generally find themselves in the 80s to 90s.

if your left handlebar is bare then you will need to pop the lever on the top left side of the case to start it. the left hand lever is the rear brake and also releases the starter spring. don't try to kick start it... is a ratcheting spring that breaks easily when over cranked.

Well it turns over so previous owner must have rigged the lever on back. I just purchased the following

things you got: price: status:

1 of : 32mm foam chrome top air filter for dellorto PHBG carburetors

$19.00 Processing

1 of : mikuni vm 18mm clamp style carburetor

$79.99 Processing

1 of : MLM honda express vm18 clamp style intake + PHBG

$55.00 Processing

Ok all in now for $411.00 with the bike purchase. If bike starts and runs I'll be in ok shape. Still need a new seat and tires. I feel I might be starting to get to the point of having more in it than it's worth.

What is one of these worth ??

If the engine turns AS you kick it, then someone swapped kick start gears into it. The 78 was a wind up starter. You crank the kick lever a few times, then pull the rear brake and it unloads.

Ok I wind it up and it unloads right away. They have rigged it up that way I guess . I here it ratchet then I take foot off starter crank and it springs back and motor turs over

Then the ratchet is not working right and you are unlikely to get it started spinning one rev at a time.

You should have listened to Ryan on just getting an adapter with a simple carb. You still need jets, idle jets, and the right needle taper. The cheapest most simple setup is this adapter and post on Buy/Sell for a cheap 14.12 SHA, cause the intake will still be 12mm. All in all with jets runs about $75 bucks. The 18mm carb is just too big for a stock engine, unless you get a DR kit or similar.

For me I would rather spend the time/money modifying the Hobbit Proma Circuit pipe on, then fart around with a carb. Pair it with that carb and its a good time.

Once I get this motor to just show me signs of life I'll be ok. The it's all going to come apart and a dr kit is going on it. Frame is going to powder coasters so are the Rims and transmission cover. Going to document the whole thing. I figure I'm going to have 1k in it all together but I want 50mph. Will be spending a lot of time polishing motor case as well. I am going to port the intake as well. Should be pretty cool when I'm done. Will get some before pictures first and post them tonight or tomorrow. Please keep the advice comming. It's appreciated. So for the stock motor what jetting do y'all recommend with that carb. Was thinking 65 main and 22 pilot and leaving needle jet alone. It's a 145

Here are 2 pics from his add. Throttle was not there but the front break handle is. Won't be using it.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Ok 1 more try on 2 different photos

image.jpg
image.jpg

If you want 50 you need to return that intake and find an nu50 engine. Its possible to get an nc50 close to that speed but just barely and it will not be living long cruising at 40+ running quite high rpm.

Ok installed rear brake controls. 3 kicks and the engine started with a small amount of fuel sprayed into open intake. I guess if break is not depressed you will not get spark to engine. Still doesn't ratchet correctly and I know I adjusted break right. I push it forward and it automatically kicks back. Won't hold. What do u think is the fix ??

You need to take the assembly apart carefully and see what is broken and or out of adjustment. The bike will spark whether the brake is depressed or not. All it does is actuate the wind up release mechanism and the brake light.

Well I took it apart found that I need a gasket and there was no oil in case at all. Inspected bearings and gears. Everything looks great the arm that hold the gear in place was not attached with the retaining spring. Reattached spring. Now I have gasket on order but how do you get that cover back on. That part that holds the gear wants to fall off.

Getting the cover back on is tricky. Varify one more time that everything is working as it should- I did not have the spring correct for a while so when I kicked the pedal down it would not spring back.

Once you have the internals assembled correctly you can fit your gasket and put the cover back on. It took me a few tries and the better part of an hour to get the cover back on. Some oil or grease can keep those parts in place momentarily while you fit the side cover. I chose to replace all the phillips screws with six corner bolts.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account