Controls

When I got my 1980 Maxi, it didn't have any controls (not even sure if they had controls from the factory?) I swapped the throttle and levers so I don't have the brake light sensor type things and no controls.

So my questions are : Is the headlight always running or was there an on/off switch for it?

How do you guys use a taillight when you swap out your levers?

What's controls were there?

I have it all apart right now for paint but I'm just trying to think ahead so I have some idea of what I'm going to run into later on.

Re: Controls

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Magura controls, cev switches,

left,

right,

switches,

light/horn,

kill,

Sweet thanks! Do you know if I could hook up a simple toggle switch for the headlight?

Brent Bublitz /

Bob, search the forums. There is a ton of information out there about rewiring a Maxi. There aer many wiring diagrams available in the wiki.

Most people prefer to 'hardwire', meaning the headlight and tail light are on all the time. It reduces the wiring and makes things cleaner.

If you want a switch, just buy a proper moped handlebar switch. You won't have any problems with proper amp ratings and it will not look like you duct taped a toggle switch to your moped.

These are my preferred now, they are tough and cheap.

https://www.treatland.tv/CEV-plastic-lights-and-horn-switch-p/cev-light-horn-switch-8199.htm

Thanks! I did search the forum and saw the hardwiring tutorial. The only issue is that wiring is not my strongest skill and I always have a problem with it. I want to run the headlight on a toggle switch just because I don't want to run a horn and taillight(maybe)

Overpriced Parts /

Bob Machado Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks! I did search the forum and saw the

> hardwiring tutorial. The only issue is that wiring

> is not my strongest skill and I always have a

> problem with it. I want to run the headlight on a

> toggle switch just because I don't want to run a

> horn and taillight(maybe)

Hardwire in the wiki is wrong. overloading one lighting coil is bad and will make you sad.

A puch has 3 lighting coils that excite each other making for a self regulating electrical that is second to none. Big 21w coil for headlight/speedo light, 10w coil for brake light, 5w for tail light .

All lights on one coil will get bright and dim and coil won't last.

All I literally want is a headlight, don't need a taillight and horn. Is it ok just to delete those wires?

wiki / puch / puch wiring

many options there, you don't need any switches if you don't want them, you might want a kill switch though.

You want at least a headlight and taillight, unless you like getting rear ended by a car.

I love it actually, haha kidding. I'm going to run one but since I don't have stock levers, it will have to be always running right? Can I just set up the headlight to be always running and just splice the wire and add a switch? I really want a switch if you can't tell haha

you can do it however you want, just study the diagrams in the wiki for a little bit, specially the individual circuits lower down on the pdf, and it will all make sense, it's very simple really they just split up the circuits, which actually makes them easier to follow.

what controls do you have? some have the same castings as the ones with switches, meaning they have the spot, you just have to drill and tap the hole.

gl

~M

I have the lusito levers from treatland, I want to have just a running headlight and a running taillight, but I want the headlight on a toggle switch, I can just wire the taillight exactly like the headlight right?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account