Vespa Grande Battery and Signals

I just got the bike going again after sitting outside for years. My blinkers don't currently work. My 6 volt battery was new last summer but has sat since then. How much running the bike will I need to do to get the battery back up to charge enough to run the blinkers?

Re: Vespa Grande Battery and Signals

Nobody?

Bad Cadillac™ /

If your battery has been sitting that long, chances are it's dead. You can try to re-charge it but must take it off and put it on a charger, the bike running alone will not charge it back up... The bikes charging system is pretty much a trickle charger, not a full bring back from dead or very low, charger.

Vespa even states in the manual to re-charge the battery once a month if you do not ride it on a regular basis.

I experience the same, my Grandes battery gets too low at times since my bikes pretty much sit during the week and are only ridden on the weekends.

If you do not have a charger, take it to a local auto store and see if they'll charge it up for you or at least try. But if it sat that long with no charger on it, it might be too far gone and dead now. (edited)

I have a battery tender but its 12v. I would be willing to buy a 6V charger for this exact reason. Is there a decent one for a decent price that anyone recommends? I found one on craigslist that was old school (from the 60s) but the seller didn't know if it worked and wouldn't come off his "vintage" and "retro" price.

Also, a trickle is best to maintain a battery, what kind of amps do I want to bring a 6V back to life?

500,000,000 nanoamperes

Ok, I bought a cheap $30 charger that does 6 or 12 volt batteries and charged up my battery. I started the bike again with the charged up battery in it. After the bike turned off, the taillight was still lit. When I switch a turn signal on, the tail light gets dimmer but the turn signal doesn't turn on at all. The only way to shut it off is to disconnect the battery altogether. Is there a wire crossed somewhere?

Bad Cadillac™ /

I think you do have a wiring issue. If you turn on the headlight using ignition switch in the headlight, and kill the engine, yes, the tail light will stay on and only it. Turn the ignition off using the headlight switch will turn off the tail light of course.

If the signals do not flash when you turn them on, then the battery is still weak, or you have a flasher issue (the cylinder looking thing, usually silver in the battery box). Those are the two most common issues for signals not working. Oh and there is a fuse in the battery box, make sure that is good but it sounds fins if the tail light dimmed on you when you turned them on.

And yes, the tail light does kind of flash when the signals are on, so yours dimming seems logical too.

The battery was on the charger overnight and went from "charge" to "maintain" mode so I assume it is fully charged. I have been shutting off the engine from the kill switch by the throttle, so I'll try it from the switch on the headlight. I'll look for the fuse, and see what it looks like. Thanks for your help!

If it does turn out to be a flasher or fuse issue, is that a treatland part?

I took the fuse out to look at it. Its different than other fuses I have seen before. It doesn't look like its broken at all but I don't know what I am looking at.

The fuse says MTA 8A and looks like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Continental-torpedo-type-8A-fuse-Pack-of-5-/380182893290

The multimeter confirmed its toast. I am pretty new to electric work. Is there an equivalent I could find at an auto parts store that would work?

Bad Cadillac™ /

OK I've not looked at my fuse in awhile but the example in your pic is the wrong one. It should be a glass type, fast blow too. I'll have to confirm with mine tonight and check the AMPs.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Chris Trout Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> If it does turn out to be a flasher or fuse issue,

> is that a treatland part?

You are welcome! And the flasher yes, 6 volt at Treats.

Fuse, local auto store, Radio Shack, or Home Depot. You just want the same AMP fuse and slow blow, if the volts state 250, it's OK to use in the bike.

Thanks for your help. I'll wait to hear what amp one to replace it with.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Hey Chris,

The fuse is an SFE14 glass type fast blow. I googled it since I've seen markings like this before and it is the real deal. Its a 14 amp, 32 volt glass type fast blow fuse and I'd have to think mine is still original. The wiring diagram off Myrons does not state the size, just fuse and its location, so it's of little use.

Anyway, here's a pic of my battery box so you can compare yours for wiring purposes. My Grande is still in storage now since my wife is pregnant.

DSC01097 (640x480).jpg

My battery box looks identical. The fuse I am looking at was inside that white cylindrical thing on the right. Thats the one I could be looking at, right?

Bad Cadillac™ /

Chris Trout Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My battery box looks identical. The fuse I am

> looking at was inside that white cylindrical thing

> on the right. Thats the one I could be looking

> at, right?

Yes, that's the one I gave you the number for. If you cna't find a fuse you can use a 15 amp 12 volt fast blow, but do not go higher than 15 amps. Of course it has to be able to fit in the fuse holder too.

Try this too. With the battery back in, turn on the signals with engine off. I forget if the ignition needs to be on too, if so turn it on. If you have a volt meter, connect it to the battery and measure voltage wih the signals on. If the battery is reading 6 volts or more, it's holding a charge and the issue is elsewhere. If the battery is 1 and a half volts lower than 6 volts, the battery is not holding a charge under load and is the issue.

If you do not have a volt meter, do you have a 6 volt light bulb you can wire up and hold against the battery terminals while the signals are on? (edited)

I got a 14 amp fuse like what was suggested and it doesn't make a difference. Could it be I needed a new fuse AND a new flasher? Also, when I installed the fuse, the fuse holder thing wouldn't screw all the way in because the fuse is just a little longer.

I installed the new fuse and it didn't make any difference. I had also heard maybe the flasher? but I thought I read somewhere that if the flasher is bad, they will only light once, and not flash. I can't get the turn signal switch to do anything more than dim the tail light.

What I wondered is if it only having signals in the back is part of the reason I can't get them to work. Someone along the line removed the front ones but left the back ones on. Is it possible that the unconnected wiring for the front turn signals could be grounded or something by accident and causing even the connected rear signals to fail? Is there an easy way to test that? If I pull a wire from the junction box or something, will that help diagnose the issue?

Bad Cadillac™ /

Flashers can be bad and not flash at all. I had one do that. You can byopass the flasher by disonnecting the flasher and jump the two wires together. If the signals light, then you know it's the flasher.

For the front signals being gone, all I can say is make sure their wires are not grounded. So yes, their wires could be grounded on you.

My taillight does dim and lightly flash when my signals come on, especially at idle.

How can I be sure I don't have a ground with the wiring for the front signals that are no longer there? Is there a wire coming out of the square wire junction I could simply disconnect? If not, are there wires I could cut or something to remove them from the electricals of the bike? I want to rule that out before I start spending more money on a flasher.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account