Anyone with Gasket alternative experience?

I cleaned out my carburator on my Honda Nu50 and found that the bowl gasket was torn.

I was about to buy on gasket set (Honda part no 16010-GF8-305) for $10 when I found "form-a-gasket" at my local auto shop. It cost only $4 but more importantly is readily available and can shape any type of gasket.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

In theory it sounds great because $10 for a small piece of rubber is going to burn my soul a bit (as I know I will break it again).

Here is what is at my nearby auto shop

Re: Anyone with Gasket alternative experience?

Cut a new gasket out of an busted innertube using the old gasket to trace the pattern

simon thokaar /

never used it on a carb, but i use the copper kind for head gaskets all the time, and that kind you linked on exhaust ports... I usually use O rings for carbs, or cut a gasket out of gasket paper (they probably sell it at the auto shop too)

Don't do it. The excess is going to get in to the float and it will be a mess next time you go to remove the bowl.

I would not recommend using any silicone gasket maker on the carburetor itself because the alcohol in the gas will dissolve the silicone

I ended up buying the Permatex form-a-gasket, fuel resistant type. It is designed for harsh gasoline environments.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Pic of the exact tube I purchased.

Jet cleaning will commence in 3... 2... 1...

So you're gonna be "that guy" that we all curse for doing bizarre shit to a bike we just bought?

I'm not sure I follow, but yeah I'll be more than happy to be the test guy for all things that make pedding easier and cheaper to own :)

There's no need to test it out. Liquid gasket anywhere near a carb is a bad idea.

Ok so I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like the previous owner of my Miata... the one that decided that a thermostat and thermostat gasket where un-necessary parts and just went without them *facepalm*

You can get a 10"x 26" sheet of 1/32" Thick Rubber Felpro Gasket Material for $5 at O'Reilly's... or any auto store really (The inner tube idea is a good one too, never thought of that) You'll have enough material to make tons of the gasket.

Mars™   Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So you're gonna be "that guy" that we all curse

> for doing bizarre shit to a bike we just bought?

what they are trying to tell you is that little pieces of the 'gasket' will break off inside the carb and clog up the jets and passages.

had to de-'sealant' both bings on my puchs when I got em, it was the main thing keeping them from running (edited)

Honestly it is working better than the original gasket because I made it slightly thicker than the oem ones...... Sounds like you all are hating on a new idea.

The gasket paper is a good alternative but can't be as good as a liquid mold that solidifies.

So with all due respect if you don't know..... Stfu

It's far from being a new idea and the advice you were receiving was based on the personal experiences that you yourself asked for. It appears that when the feedback you received did not match your preconceived notions, you discounted it out of hand.

Perhaps you didn't want advice, you wanted accolades for some great "discovery." And since you did not receive such, you are now willing to diss everyone that attempted to help you. That is not how you maintain positive connections especially if you have an expectation of possible further assistance in the future.

Andrew Squiggman /

make note of "therab" when he is trying to sell his shitty permatexed bike, we can alert potential buyers of the shitty hacks that will be forever lingering in there.

" Its non-setting, non-hardening character remains tacky even with rapid changes in temperature, enabling repeated assembly and disassembly of parts."

if it works, great, but before you assume we're just hatin, wait a few weeks and see how it holds up. in all likelyhood you will end up happy to get all this for that ten bucks:

(edited)

trust me dude, get the real one or cut one out of paper.

It's fine and working like a charm

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account