E-50 backfire

christian boucher /

was riding my Maxi yesterday at WOT, going about 45 MPH and I heard what sounded like a backfire and the moped slowed down very quickly for a second. Could this have been a soft seize? Any thoughts of what my next steps should be? Thank you.

Re: E-50 backfire

Head gasket, getting hot, got to find out why before engine damage....

Overpriced Parts /

Yes your thrown together not prepped kit, ring gapped, non set squish, no needle carb, not timed correctly/tuned correctly, no temp gauge, low stock geared hi rpm pipe set up with stock crank grenade build took a poop .

Imagine that

a backfire and the moped slowed down very quickly for a second.

sounds like a sieze.

is there lost performance?

inspect the piston thru the exhaust port, best you can.

re-evaluate tuning and fuel system health.

by health i mean cleanlieness, blockage from dirt #1

tuning, 45 sounds high, huge hill? or post mods / jetting for feedback.

christian boucher /

Ken, I came here for help, not for your condescending remarks. If I knew how to property tune my mopeds like you, I wouldn't have come here for advice. 2HP maxi with 50cc treats kit, 16X45 Gearing, 15.15 SHA with 68 jet and Boss pipe. I have run plug chops in the past and they seemed fine. Recently the wire mesh fell out of the air filter so its basically running with no air filter. Anyone have recommendations for the air filter? Maybe some panty hose?

Overpriced Parts /

Not condescending

You were braging and giving wrong info to noob on other threads(how fast, boss pipe is best pipe,15.15 sha) you didn't ask me for help nor would you listen because if you did you would get rid of the boss pipe, low gearing, Sha carb, high comp head and you would time correctly, get a bing, techno circuit/low rpm pipe, gear at least 16x40 and run a temp gauge

Not to mention rebuild your engine before you kit.

A two-stroke engine goes fastest when it's ready to blow .

Brent Bublitz /

Ken Roff Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not condescending

> You were braging and giving wrong info to noob on

> other threads(how fast, boss pipe is best

> pipe,15.15 sha) you didn't ask me for help nor

> would you listen because if you did you would get

> rid of the boss pipe, low gearing, Sha carb, high

> comp head and you would time correctly, get a

> bing, techno circuit/low rpm pipe, gear at least

> 16x40 and run a temp gauge

> Not to mention rebuild your engine before you

> kit.

> A two-stroke engine goes fastest when it's ready

> to blow .

Overpriced Parts /

Ha ha

I'm Not meaning to be mean

I'm just trying to say Its better to take the time to get it right and go a little slower with more reliability at first then to make a fast pile of molten aluminum.

After you learn grasshopper then you could go fast

Jonathan Feldman /

your set up doesnt sound way off to be honest. i dont know shit about anything but i had a 50cc treats kit w/ hi comp head, circuit pipe, 15 sha jetted at 68. and it was bulletproof for a shitload of miles untill i ripped it apart.

i would feel like your timing may have been way advanced or something like that. cause 68 was what mean mine was jetted at... but then again jetting varies a buttload. running a temp gauge is really the best thing ever. knowing when youre running cool and when youre runnin fuckin hot is a godsend. i tell ya.

ALSO, keep in mind sometimes a spark cuttin in n out is mistook as a lean surge. just something to keep in mind. dunno.

christian boucher /

Ken,

I just didn't expect that response from a guy who is obviously a moped enthusiast. These are just toys after all. You make a several assumptions (thrown together not prepped kit, ring gapped, non set squish, not timed correctly/tuned correctly) that may or may not be true.

I bought the moped as-is. For all we know, the kit could have been installed perfectly. I also never claimed that the boss pipe is the best pipe. Someone asked what a good TOP END pipe was for under $100. He even said he doesn't care at all about low end because he weights 130 pounds. I thought I was giving pretty good advice.

The first thing I did when I bought this bike was take your advice and set my timing and check my point point gaps. I also did purchase a low/mid range pipe (Proma circuit) Although I don't like it at all. The low end was not much better, mid range was better, top end was way worse and its obnoxiously loud. Wish I would have went with the Estoril.

As far as gearing goes, why would I go 16X40 when 18X45 is the same ratio and the front sprocket is way easier to change? Will an 18 tooth not fit? Even if it did fit, my moped doesn't produce enough power to ever get up to speed with that ratio. The low end is already dog shit.

Anyways, I changed my spark plug, made a make shift air filter, went up to a 70 jet and everything ran great today. Temp gauge is coming soon.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account