Honda Urban Express Kick Start, Where does the arrow point to?

On the diagram, Part #11. It has an arrow on the gear, (which isn't shown on the diagram) which way is it suppose to point when you assembly? Thanks

Jam

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nu50-urban-express-1982-usa_model1091/partslist/E++05.html

Re: Honda Urban Express Kick Start, Where does the arrow point to?

It's a dot, and it points at the dot on the other gear.

Super Thanks. I don't know how anyone is suppose to find that dot behind that drive pulley. I never did see it.

Now back to the real problem of the motor running, but not. I guess I'm back to step two. I think I'll take the carb apart again, but I can't figure out why it's idling so well if it has a block.

I'm thinking it has to do with the oil injector not being connected to the throttle cable (creating a vaccum or too much air?), and just using premixed gas/oil. Could it be getting a double dose of oil? I did notice the spark plug looked oily after I ran it for a few minutes.

Any suggestions.

JAM

11 has the arrow that should be pointing up, then you have to get the dots & dashes to line up where 12 & 12 meet 17, clean all the belt dust off so you can see them.

Its idling so well because it has a choke system that auto-engages

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

*.* H Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its idling so well because it has a choke system

> that auto-engages

haha, now I'm remembering how mine acted. What you have to do is get on it, and go full throttle for a minute, it should clear up in about 15 seconds.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

my friends urban wont WOT when the auto-choke is doing its thing.

It will kill the motor.

he has to let his warm up or go 4 mph till its enough to disengage the choke.

He hasn't ripped apart the autochoke on the head.

Okay, That's some good conversation going on. At this point, I've let it run for over five minutes. I manually pull the throttle cable, (not the oil injector) because I have it premixed. It does rev higher, but doesn't sound right and won't engage the rear wheel clutch)

I've cleaned the autochoke, (basically took its cover off, and blow air into it), the gasket around it was a little out of shape, but I believe I've got it back on. The auto choke seemed in good shape.

"He hasn't ripped apart the autochoke on the head". Please explain what I would do to that.

So I'm thinking the first thingI need to get is a real split cable for throttle/oil instead of the makeshift one. Put that on, and get rid of the premix in the tank, see how that treats me. Suggestions?

JAM

P.S. Love the image of the guy giving the figure, Makes me want to grow my mullet back...Yes, I'm that old.

Doubling up on oil could cause serious plug fouling. The oil injector is far richer than 50:1.

So I drained the premix out of the tank, added fresh gas. Made sure my make shift cable was on the throttle and the oil injector. Ran it for five minutes while checking the external temper 138 degrees (cold outside today). Idled nice, then made a slight starving for fuel sound, I had intermittently pull the oil and throttle cable. But no real change in idle.

Then it stalled out. and didn't want to restart. I checked the plug, which was clean, with just a bit of oil.

So, does that mean autochoke isn't coming off?

If so, how do you fix that?

John

It might mean that bike won't run once it does come off.

Re: Honda Urban Express Kick Start, ANSWERED Where does the arrow point to?

ARROW Points toward the shaft of the kickstart, NOT up. Finally figured it out. Also you were correct about the dots lining up.

Including dots on the kickstart and shaft itself.

Many thanks to all.

Now to why it not running past an idle.

JAM

ARROW Points toward the shaft of the kickstart, NOT up.

crap, you are right, MRA with links to manuals is down, had to find it at project moped manual. well mine has been working fine for years the way i had it (up), guess i'll redo it next time i take the cover off.

You might have an air leak somewhere. When you throttle up it loses vacuum at the carb. maybe?

Buy 3/16 I.d. vacuum caps

3 for head

1 for carb

1 for head

Plug that

Only really need 2 but I plug the head so they don't get extra dust

Okay, I need little more clarification. I tried to bypass the autochoke, by making the carb hose go directly into the manifold intake. Which hoses need to be plug up? Pictures work wonders for me.....

John

You basically have the intake a free straw to suck from the float bowl. Plug the intake, plug the carb, done.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

disconnect the auto choke while troubleshooting and plug the attachment points where the hoses go, intake, carb. Run your gas line from tank to the gas inlet as its supposed to be and not the intake inlet!! hold a couple of fingers over carb to start if it dont want to start. If your using the stock air filter, rinse it dry and put it back in dry. Carb adjustments should be throttle = 2 + turns out, mix should be= 1 1/2 - 2 turns out, all bikes vary. Your kick start gear(with the arrow) should point directly left toward the crank, but this isnt your issue if its kickstarting.

Make sure your throttle valve is moving freely and with proper clearing. Do so by looking down the throat of the carb while working the throttle, without it running of course!

DONT run premix and oil injection at the same time one or the other premix at 42:1= 3oz. to 1 gal.

If your sure your getting good fuel flow to the carb and the carb/jets are really clean, you more than likely have an airleak.

To check for airleaks start the bike and let it warm up spray carb cleaner around all matting surfaces: head to cyl., cyl to case, intake to case, carb to intake, if the bike stalls speeds up or dies theres your airleak! If no airleaks show up check your crankseals for leakage. Pull the covers off and look for signs of oil, it should be totally dry on bothsides of the crank.

Have you checked your compression?

Gruff,

Compression is 120 psi, consistent. Spark is great. Carb is squeaky clean, I've cleaned it twice. I did notice when I sprayed carb around the manifold intake, and it did slow down. i made sure all the bolt were tightend, but that didn't do the trick. I'm assuming new gaskets are in order. The only thing is, Do I have take the entire engine out to do this? Because the oil injector is blocking one of the holding bolts.

I've already done the bypass hose thing,and it really didn't make any difference.

Jam

Take the pump out to get at them.

UPDATE< ITS RUNNING!. Honda Urban Express Kick Start, Where does the arrow point to?

First, a Big thanks to everyone who helped with suggestion for this 82 Honda Urban Express. (esp. Ryan and Gruff)

The Problems were a plenty. Last night I had the Eureka moment.

Problem: Purchased a nonoperating noped. Compression was 110-120

Had decent spark. When carb was cleaned, would only idle.

Work done:

Replaced completely frozed throttle cable with Ebay chinese one, and made it work by cutting and soldering knarp on it.

Carb was solid vanish and cleaned out completely (three times).

Oil was like black sludge.

Auto choke, didn't.

Fuel lines blocked, cleaned.

Tank cleaned

Kick starter rebuilt. (Arrow goes to left towards crank )

Battery bought.

Oil injector blown throw with compressed air.

Checked for air leaks, none

Finally, Starting it it starts grea, but only idles for three minutes then dies.

Compression was 120 at this point, and I read online it should be about 150. Cleaned out top end, replaced with homemade gaskets. Took off MUFFLER, sprayed it inside with carb cleaner and let sit.

When I put the head back on, compression was only about 90 psi now!!! AH!! Muffler was still retaing fluid in it, I could hear it sploshing around.

I drained, and compressed aired it.

Putting it all back together, I started it, (by passing the autochoke at this point). It started like an old stanley steamer (not the cleaner), Putt, Putt Putt, PUtt ,PUTt, PUTT PUTT< PUTT!!!!!!!Then it blew out a hornets/bugs nest out the muffler end. All nicely saturated with the carb fluid. BRAPPPPPPPP!

Seems so easy now....hee hee.

Again thanks to everyone and having the patience to answer my question.

Re: UPDATE< ITS RUNNING!. Honda Urban Express Kick Start, Where does the arrow point to?

So all is well? It runs and drives?

Re: UPDATE< ITS RUNNING!. Honda Urban Express Kick Start, Where does the arrow point to?

Yup, its running great. I added just a bit 2cycle oil to the tank. Because I wanted to make sure it had oil in the motor in case the oil injector wasn't operating correctly. We drove it 12 miles, no stalls, idling fine now, no excessive smoke. Starts perfect with both kick and battery. My wife loves to ride it too!

I'm one happymoper...Now if it just had pedals :)

Congratulations. My moped went bad cylinder, my kick start is stuck now. I can't install kick starter back.

20200707_110800.jpg

Captain Janeway /
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account