Tomos A3 wiring harness

I have a 1985 tomos A3 silver bullet that I got that needed some work but it has an A35 motor on it which basically means that the ignition system is different. the A3 strator has a black, blue and yellow wire and the A35 only has black and yellow on it. I don't care about the horn or speedometer light to much but I need to get the running lights and brake lights to work to make it street legal. does anyone know the best way to wire this and anyone who might be in my area? I am going to post pictures of my know A3 and A35 wiring diagrams later. if I am also correct I might need to put a voltage regulator on and since it will be a 12 volt system I obviously cant use 6 volt bulbs in my lights. thank you for any help in advance.

Re: Tomos A3 wiring harness

the black wire goes to the coil

the yellow wire is for lights , so that will go to the regulator

but i'm not sure what to do with the leftover blue wire......maybe somebody else will chime in on that

Actually the cog using part is that normally my a3 would have a blue but it doesn't because the A35 motor doesn't so my problem is that normally the lights would be divided up between the blue and yellow but I just have yellow to work with. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

image.jpg

The first one is the A35 and the second is the A3 diagram

image.jpg

you have the 80 watts strator with points with black& yellow does it run

The blue wire is just the tail light. I'd just it up to the output of the voltage regulator, same as the other lights. You could use a stock tomos regulator, or a universal one like treatland has. Change over the bulbs and everything should work the same as stock, the 6v horn should still work on 12v, it might be louder.

I have black and yellow and yes it runs jr fish and thank you so much grey L, should I just put the voltage regulator straight of the yellow wire?

Simon Belmont /

The way it works depends on your voltage regulator:

if your regulator only has 2 pins on it then connect like this: yellow wire from stator to 1st pin on voltage regulator and then from that same pin to the rest of the bulbs/switches and the other wire on the 2nd pin from the regulator gets connected to the ground (to the frame). The light bulbs also have have to be grounded to the frame.

If your voltage regulator has 3 pins, then yellow wire from the stator gets connected to 1st pin, then from 2nd pin another yellow wire goes to the light bulbs/switches and 3rd pin gets connected to the ground. Light bulbs also have to be connected to the ground.

P.S. I also purchased 6v horn and installed it on the 12v system, but it sounds the same as 12v horn (not much louder).(edited)

I just bought this voltage regulator from treatland. That should work right? And for this one it obviously says to attach the yellow to the yellow wire coming out of my stator and the red goes to lights. I'm guessing that when I mount the regulator to my frame that grounds it.

Also when I hook up my run/off control do I still just ground the brown wire out of my cdi or like the A35 diagram shows or should I run that to my kill switch more like the A3 diagram shows.

Thanks again for anyone's input

That regulator should work fine, just make sure when you mount it to clean a little bit of bare metal around the mounting hole so it gets a good connection.

The a3 and a35 both ground out the black wire from the stator to the HT coil/cdi.

Alright that makes sense, this picture is of the cdi on my moped, if I'm understanding correctly then I should run the red wire to the black wire on my strator and the brown wire should run to my kill switch? Or do I still simply ground the brown wire on the mounting screw of the cdi?

image.jpg

Simon Belmont /

Sorry, the 2 pin voltage regulator connection I was describing was this heavy duty one.

You ground the brown coil ground wire to the chassis. You connect the kill switch and the black wire from the stator to the red wire.

Awesome, thank you so much, now I just need my voltage regulator to come already so she can be road worthy

I drew up this wiring diagram and was wondering if this looked right to you guys before I threw it all on the moped. Once my voltage regulator comes in

image.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account