Trac Clipper headlight blinks with signals

The moped is new to me and has had this problem since I have had it.

The headlight blinks dimly with the turn signals. If I unhook the headlight (remove the bulb, unhook bLue wire, or unhook Black wire) the signals stop working. If I hook bLue headlight wire to ground the signals work.

This diagram is almost exactly what the Clipper has. The headlight on the Clipper has the bLue wire but no Green wire, the other tab from headlight has a Black wire hooked to headlight ring (ground). Headlight bulb is 6v 21w

The headlight switch is messed up, so the Yellow wire from the engine is hooked to the bLue 4 way connector instead of the bLue from the headlight switch, basically making the headlight always on.

Battery is at about 5.7volts. With the moped running the voltage goes up as high as 8-9v when revving.

I thought the signals might be getting ground through the headlight instead of through the green wire to frame. There is continuity from green wire to frame, so that doesn't seem to be it.

I will be working on this tomorrow. I will test Yellow from engine to frame for voltage, Black wire (+6v) from combination switch (key) to frame for voltage, and turn signals - Orange hooked to red lead and black lead to frame and see if I get + or - voltage. And I will open up the light switch and make sure wiring is correct and that there are no shorts.

If you have any other ideas, please post them.

Re: Trac Clipper headlight blinks with signals

Take your turning signals off :-)

Wiring diagram

(edited)

TracDailimWiring2.jpg

Andrew Squiggman /

you have bad grounds.

that or it's just not making good power and dims the light. might have too high volt bulbs somewheres too. i dunno

who cares about blinkers anyway?

I was not clear. I have no headlight until I turn the blinkers on, then the headlight blinks dimly with the signals.

Brent Bublitz /

o.0

0.o

o.0

0.o

o.0

0.o

o.0

0.o

I would guess this means you have a bad ground on your headlight. When you turn your blinkers on, the light grounds through the blinkers. Test by running a separate wire from the black (ground) terminal of your headlight to the frame or engine and see if the light behaves like it should.

one spade of the headlight socket is grounded to the headlight ring. if I unhook this ground then the turn signals don't work. I wouldn't think the signals would not be grounded as they are bolted to frame, but I will check their grounds. I did not get to work on the clipper yesterday as I picked up a Carabella that I had a few years back. It was one of my faves so I wanted to get it running and riding.

Thanks, we'll figure this thing out.

The wiring seems fine. I don't understand how the charging circuit works. With the moped running yellow wire from the engine to the head light, headlight to ground does not make light but instead of hooking that other tab to ground if I hook it to the black wire which goes to the positive battery terminal then the headlight lights up

♣Slew Foot♣ /

flasher units terminals are switched round and its blinking the ground. bad blinker switch? if it's the square cev with a rocker, they always go bad. look under sparta foxi 504's wiring dia @ myrons for the bypass procedure

♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> flasher units terminals are switched round and its

> blinking the ground. bad blinker switch? if it's

> the square cev with a rocker, they always go bad.

> look under sparta foxi 504's wiring dia @ myrons

> for the bypass procedure

the flasher unit has two wires, black (+6v) from key switch and gray to signal switch. The flasher unit is not grounded. If the 2 wires are transposed, that could cause this?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i imagine it could work like a diode and lets voltage flow one way. i have seen dual condensers do weird stuff like this too.

Sparta-foxi-wiring-diagram.jpg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account