Here are some basics:
- Have kitted engine to 70cc.
- Upgraded carb, intake, exhaust
- Battery good charged and holding charge
I took the noped out yesterday for first run of the season after upgrading various parts of ped. Ran great for 30+ miles. I kept the speed around 30-34mph and didn't "open it up" or run it hard. Then, on my way home there was a good stretch of flat road... so I decided to test the new carb and open it up a little. Was probably doing 35-37mph for 1-2 minutes and felt a little intermitant hesitation in the engine. I backed off a little and then increase the speed again. All of a sudden it just died... like not bogged down or running rough... just engine quit all together and it came to complete stop.
I waited for 2-3 minutes and let the engine cool. While stopped, I turned the key on and tested the horn... nice and loud beep. So, electrical was working fine. I wound the starter spring and released... the engine started up NO problem. I ran again at around 35mph and same thing happened. Dead stop.
Ironically a neighbor of my was passing by and I got a ride home, rather and try this process for another 9 miles back.
Does the problem sound familar to anyone? I have some theories thus far, but could use some suggestions for diagnosing, advice, testing or disproving theories.
- Electrical "grounded out" somehow by positive of battery touching metal of bike. (BUT, why would it happen when I was really pushing the ped?)
- Something is over heating... maybe Rectifier? The Magneto could be putting out way more than 6volts when going that fast and overheating components? (when I let the noped sit... it cools down and allows me to start it again)
- Just read another post (different brand moped) and someone suggested the piston might be seizing... when it cools... it is enought to free the piston and allow me to continue.
Any and all constructive advice would be appreciated.