1977 Angel carb spewing gas problem!

Shea Transue /

Hi all I have a 1977 TYM Angel, the carb is a Mikuni Kogyo VM10-24 with a Main jet #45, and air jet 0.7.

Good news the moped finally started but you have to keep on the throttle to keep it going or it dies. There is a tube under the carb that is for the over flow and it was just over flowing like crazy! I haven't been able to play with it much yet but what could it be? I think its letting to much air in or something? Any commentary would be appreciated or an offer of a new carb or replacement model.

Re: 1977 Angel carb spewing gas problem!

Andrew Squiggman /

sounds like your needle valve is not seating and you are flooding. hence why you need to keep the throttle open leaning out the mixture. also that wil l make the bowl over fill and leak out the tube.

Shea Transue /
shea OP

So how do you fix something like that? I can tell you that the cap that screws on top of the carb is plastic and old and doesn't screw on well...

Andrew Squiggman /

take the bowl off. hold the carb right side up. blow into the fuel inlet. air should blow through. then raise the float up. you should not be able to blow through the inlet anymore. if any air does pass, your needle valve is not sealing. remove float, check the point on the needle valve. it may be rubber and pointy, but could be deteriorated. or there could be a small piece of dirt on the tip or sealing surface.

that is a Mikuni carb

should be easy to find a needle

Shea Transue /
shea OP

I swear this is the bike from hell, it is such an off brand and so old it is tough to get anything for it. But I am this far into it I can't quit now I am going to see it through! Also I will have to get back to you in a while with the results I am at college and my bike is 3 hours away. :(

Also I think I might know the problem after thinking on it... I think I put the needle valve in backwards, pointy end out (it's all metal no rubber). I can't be sure though because I had a mechanic friend look at it without me there so if he put it together the way I did that's why it is pouring gas.

Shea Transue /
shea OP

Well it doesn't pour gas anymore but I can not get it to idle. I can get it to run while staying on the throttle but once I let off of it, it goes for a second or two then dies. I have an old manual for it and it says "set throttle stop screw (29) at a little higher position than idling and fit air screw (4) to the standard number of returning (1 time)." Great English right? I set them the way they say and it doesn't help. Any thoughts? Oh and I have cleaned it a few times so I think it isn't clogged.

stop whining and wait for help on yer super simple fix

Shea Transue /
shea OP

I wasn't whining? I am just looking for ideas on what I can do. What is this simple fix that you speak of?

fallout Survivor /

I had the exact same model and a 1980 version...

They do not make that carburetor anymore, but they make very very similar larger ones still ... you can download the schematics and specs....and probably even videos on youtube...

look up the newer ones...you might have a idle channel that is still blocked.

often these are small ports .. alternately a air leak will kill your idling.

I know what you mean about the manual it was manufactured in Tawain, and the manual was very brief... and badly written...

in google try "cleaning mikuni vm carb" rebuilding mikuni vm carb..

the trick in google is three word searches.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

make sure you fuel line doesn't have a hole in it.

What is saying is elevate the idle with the idle speed screw then set the idle air adjustment (the other screw) to one turn out from LIGHTLY seated. Turn the screw in, turn it back out one turn... fine adjustment plus or minus from there to find the fastest idle. Then set the idle speed screw down to your preferred idle.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account