Hobbit / PA50 Flywheel nut stripped

hey, I used an impact to start my hobbit and stripped out the nut

what's the factory flywheel nut? Anyone know of the next size down? Possibly american coarse thread to die it down to? Yeah I'm kinda stupid

hopefully a die will cut through the crank

Re: Hobbit / PA50 Flywheel nut stripped

how do you not know this after all these years of hobbitting?

i'm pretty certain it's an m10x1

if you stripped the nut, just replace the nut. if you stripped the crank, 3/8" is a real common slightly smaller american size. fine thread is really close to 1mm.

:P I was @ going to be at the hardware store and wanted to buy some nuts / rushpost

I know, you'd think I would strip more!

I'll check the parts catalog to double check

If you need a Pa 2 crank let me know. I got one for shipping

Oh I forgot, your a bonehead. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Can't fit die over the crank end, whoops

Do I just grind t 1/4" of the crank so I can die it? and it will take care of the rest? or should I just take it to a moped professional?.

i got 3 cranks bad... I swear, its not me.

I have new nuts, but by using taps & dies I could not - for the life of me - figure out the pitch, it was really frustrating. You would think with the [new] nut in hand and a tap you could figure it out but no- it snags...

are you using a chase tap or a cutting tap.

Are you using metric tools?

I'm trying to go to standard, because the sizing goes down so much from m10 to m8, I thought 3/8 looked a little bigger, maybe I went too small, I was thinking it was m8 and I was going down to 3/8

ugh, I'll find some one who knows what they are doing.

I think the tap set was a cutting dies, not finish dies

what the hell are you even trying to do? you stripped the nut... buy another nut... what's the big deal? why are you trying to run a die over the damn crank??? jeez... pretty sure I have found m10x1.0 metric nuts at the hardware store before... if you want I will go buy one and mail it to you???

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

Just go to a bar at 1am and spit in everyones drink cuze you need a beat-down.

pretty much at this point , you need Mopeds Anonymous Beatdown fer fuckin' that up.

Good offer Ryan, I can source a nut though :)

I was trying to figure out which m8 and 3/8 nut was which pitch by testing with the tap set but It wouldn't thread in all the way for any of them.

So either its a 'Cutting' tap, or 'finishing' tap and they aren't made to thread into the correct nut because of their purpose, or I had the wrong sizes.

I haven't butchered anything yet, there is still time to though.

The third bad hobbit crank came that way!

I have just now, learned to... Keep the air tools away from cranks!

for the most part I would never run a die over a crank... they are hardened and as such will be very difficult to make new threads on.

I had a shop do it for me on another crank - It was left hand thread and they ran a die over it, right hand thread. That is what I meant by 'bringing it to the moped shop' they saved my butt last time.

From what I have read - and in this case - the threads aren't hardened, maybe the crank webs are?

Problem fixed with a die. New m10x1.00 nut

HOORAY!!!!

Yeah, no more impacts.

all this over a 'chase die'.

Mike Celedonia /

I know this sounds funning but if you need the fix the theads on the crank the easey way is to do it is, take a pipe cuter and put it on the good treads behind the bad spot and carefully tighten to cuter on the good threads but dont force it then turn it backwords into the bad threads and work it back and forth till you get the messed up ones and clean as you. this realy does work. good luck

great side of the road trick, man...

I had a bike come to me, stripped threads on the crank, I avoided working on it and then thought about 1 day. Put another washer on before the nut, problem solved

Shane Antisocialite /

This is an old thread but it shows up at the top of Google search results so I am updating it to possibly save other people that come across it in the future from wasting their time-

These posts are WRONG. The flywheel/clutch nut is NOT M10x1.0, it is M10x1.25

I want my two weeks back lol. M10x1.0 is a rare special order size. M10x1.25 is available at every home depot.

Ah well

old 7 year post revenge is sweet... If i took u two weeks to figure out the differance between coarse and fine then...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account