Tomos Clutch Spring Advise

Tara Titsoff /

I want to upgrade my clutch springs on my Tomos Sprint. Acceleration, and ridability are my main considerations more than durability.

What I have on hand besides stock springs, are two 20 lb springs, and one 25 lb spring.

Considering the springs I have, how would you set the clutches up?

I also will be installing new clutch shoes at the same time.

Re: Tomos Clutch Spring Advise

I'd do the 25lb on the 1st gear and a 20 on the 2nd gear.

Tara Titsoff /

Grey L Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd do the 25lb on the 1st gear and a 20 on the

> 2nd gear.

Thanks for the reply Grey. I have zero experience with this, but that was my first impulse just thinking about it.

Then I started second guessing myself, and thought about doing just the opposite, thinking it would delay the shift to second longer?

I mentioned it on that other thread of yours that I use 30lb on both clutches. I like the 30lb a lot, but you probably wont like it on a stock-ish setup, so the 25/20 like Grey mentioned is probably your best bet. Just my 2 cents.

Tara Titsoff /

Josh Cranston Wrote:

> I mentioned it on that other thread of yours that

> I use 30lb on both clutches. I like the 30lb a

> lot, but you probably wont like it on a stock-ish

> setup, so the 25/20 like Grey mentioned is

> probably your best bet. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Josh. That's 2 out 2 for putting the heavy spring on 1st.

So you guys like to get more rpm before 1st gear hooks up?

Hey Josh, with your 30 lb springs, what's your bike like when you take off from a stop. Does it have to rev real high to start moving?

It's higher than stock for sure, but definitely not where I personally want it. It's not like super high rpm engagement though (I don't have a tach but Im guessing maybe 5000 rpm engagement, maybe 6K at best). BUT, this is because I have a bike made for really high rpm (12000+ to be exact) and it doesnt make a ton of power in the lower rpms... it really doesnt wake up till at least 9K. Also, my clutch material choice doesnt aid me in getting more slip, but that's beside the point.

Tara Titsoff /

Thanks Josh, that's really what I was wondering about the most. Sounds like a 25 lb spring won't make me have to rev too high to take off.

I'm guessing that the slippery stuff I've been trying out lately I was reving to 4 or 5 k taking off now, and that wasn't too bad.

Stevie Schaeffer /

30lb springs on 1st and 2nd and clutches keep shifting in and out of 2nd when I ride

Road Rash Dave /

Stevie Schaeffer Wrote:

> 30lb springs on 1st and 2nd and clutches keep

> shifting in and out of 2nd when I ride

Love the 30 30 i dont have that problem with shifting in and out

Back to the OP i would go 20 first and the 25 on second as first gear is low enough and the longer you stay out of second the better but i weigh 195

this is a 95 Targa step through Chasis airsail 70 kit dereatricted tnecno estroil miluni vm 22 on a custom intake

Tara Titsoff /

It's been over a week now with a 20 lb on first, and a 25 lb on second. This is working pretty well for me, and it's 1000% better than stock. It takes off from a stop about the same as stock, but now instead of shifting early in the dead zone at 15 mph, it stays in first and starts ripping up to 20 mph.

I've learned that I can have a little influence on the shift point. If I stay hard on the gas it shifts about 21 mph, but if I roll off the gas a little it will shift early at about 18 or 19 mph, and the shift is smoother. Once in second, it stays there unless I get back down to about 15, where it down shifts to first.

Even though this didn't add any hp to my bike, it made it accelerate lot faster than before, because it allows it to stay in the power band more of the time.

Stevie Schaeffer /

what clutch setup would b best with a 70cc kit. Would like 2 have a fast take off and not loose speed when i sift 2 second

So your tomos has a 70cc kit and u run 30,30? Would this be an optimal choice for a 70cc kit with mostly aftermarket parts?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

The 30lb springs eventually will cause the asymmetrical, soft pot metal clutch shoes to deform, and eventually fail. Overall clutch life will be greatly reduced.

I use a 20lb blue on 2nd, and i would not use any stronger personally.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account