Re: 1976 Torrot Turismo (Restoration): Engine Help

How will I know where to make the index marks? As of the moment I don't have any markings. I have found BTDC.

Side note, what replacement points and femsa ignition box would you recommend for the OEM set up?

i would ditch the whole motor for that of its motobecane brother, 1977 mopeds has crate motors for 300 shipped. then use your stock head on the crate motor and you are done.

Stock Torrot motor's head will not bolt up to a AV10 - it will bolt to a Pug engine though.

Anyhow the crate motors have QC issues and you need to go over the whole motor looking for defects (still a good price for a stock AV10 Chinese copy but it is what it is)

Daniel '' Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i would ditch the whole motor for that of its

> motobecane brother, 1977 mopeds has crate motors

> for 300 shipped. then use your stock head on the

> crate motor and you are done.

could modify the head to work im sure. but good to know about the peugeot compatibility. it would work with an av88 head though, right?

The AV8x head works on the AV7 or AV10 motor, to fit to any of the Torrot frames (Turismo, Maxi or Mini) you need to cut back one of the left head fins to give some clearance for the frame mount point, otherwise you will never get your pulleys aligned.

To run a Pug motor on any of the frames you need to retain the Torrot head and fabricate a bottom engine mount to link to the counter spring.

You can also run the Minarelli P3 motors on the came frames like the Cheetah or early Cross bikes (shared the parts bins with their Rieju cousins)

Daniel '' Wrote:

> could modify the head to work im sure. but good to

> know about the peugeot compatibility. it would

> work with an av88 head though, right?

my replacement puch ignition system just wont work on the torrot case

the rotation direction of the flywheel actually matters whoops - I'm going to try a motobecane ignition system (http://www.treatland.tv/motobecane-CDI-p/motobecane-cdi-ignition.htm) next

with the original points set up anyone of the components could have been the problem, so too much trouble shooting for me

if the motobecane system isn't compatible with the victoria 49cc torrot engine head and block then i'll replace them with the av7 one's and be off to the races

sound like a working plan?

ps: I just rebuilt the engine with new gaskets, and got the engine block holes re drilled for the carb and exhaust - the compression is epic - I also know how to time now which is great

To run the AV7 or AV10 motor you need to have the AV8x head for it to fit without modifying the engine mounting point on the bike. You also need to trim the cooling fins at the left side in order for the motor to sit over to the left enough to run a straight belt to the driven pulley.

ClearanceFinMarker.jpg
ClearanceFin.jpg
ShimmedLeft.jpg

If you are going to try electronic ignition then just get a pocket bike HPI from Tsunami bikes in Niagara and have a machine shop open up the taper on the rotor to fit the crank snugly. Stator plate on those is small enough it will go right into the original housing and the electronics are simple to hook up even with the badly translated Chinese instruction sheet.

Just give up on the new ignition, modify a different motor in there. what happened to the one my buddy found is we spent a lot on a special 9.6mm reverse thread tap and went through the trouble or sourcing points and installing only to then find out the starter clutch had a broken spring(not that bad) and the clutch had a broken shoe, which i have no idea where to find. your gonna face this kind of thing constantly and you will be bummed.

good idea, I just jacked off the clutch nut and tried to check out the shoe's n springs but I couldn't get it off - gonna order a puller to take a look n go from there

once I jacked the clutch back the bike was running for a bit which was a big improvement so I think you hit the nail with the clutch - all I think it needs is some oil to get going but yeah worse case a broken shoe (I'd consider a crate swap if that's the case, especially if I can't fix it)

the ignition system got it going okay but yeah the flywheel direction is still all wrong and needs replacing

carb - yes

head, piston, crank, block, case - yes

exhaust - yes

clutch - ?

ignition - barely (good enough for testing)

I had one motor with a broken starter clutch arm that would jam up. I trimmed down the arm a little and repaired it with a strip of aluminium and some rivets all immersed in epoxy and it seems to be holding.

All of the Torrot motors had a stuck variator, which needed to be lubed and worked with penetrating oil for free up the moving cheek.

Chris Kay Wrote:

> good idea, I just jacked off the clutch nut and

> tried to check out the shoe's n springs but I

> couldn't get it off - gonna order a puller to take

> a look n go from there

>

> once I jacked the clutch back the bike was running

> for a bit which was a big improvement so I think

> you hit the nail with the clutch - all I think it

> needs is some oil to get going but yeah worse case

> a broken shoe (I'd consider a crate swap if that's

> the case, especially if I can't fix it)

>

> the ignition system got it going okay but yeah the

> flywheel direction is still all wrong and needs

> replacing

>

> carb - yes

> head, piston, crank, block, case - yes

> exhaust - yes

>

> clutch - ?

> ignition - barely (good enough for testing)

ok so my cheek is moving beautifully, the only way I see myself getting the clutch off though is with this puller http://www.treatland.tv/vespa-piaggio-flywheel-puller-p/vespa-flywheel-puller.htm any other ideas?

and as for ignitions as of the moment i'm looking at

----http://www.treatland.tv/HPI-CDI-mini-rotor-ignition-system-for-mbk-p/red-mbk-hpi-cdi-90.htm

----http://www.treatland.tv/motobecane-CDI-p/motobecane-cdi-ignition.htm

----http://www.1977mopeds.com/Motobecane-AV7-AV10-HPI-Mini-Rotor-CDI-Ignition-p/70363.htm

----http://www.1977mopeds.com/Motobecane-6v-CDI-Unit-p/774564.htm

I like the idea of the HPI's fitting in the housing, do you know where I could get a housing cap/cover?

If I get a day i'll go check Tsunami for hpi's

Do any of you know if the parts from AV7 / AV10 engines fit Torrot engines, such as clutch and exhaust?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account