Honda Express NC50 Wind up to Pull Start Conversion

2S4Blood Hanson /

Ok Here it is.

Things Needed

1. Pulley ( See Attachment )

2. Bronze Sleeve

3. Pull Start Rope and Handle

First thing you need to do is the kick start conversion found here...

The only thing different is DO NOT put the return spring back in.

All you need is the pulley in the pictures I attached and a bronze sleeve. Im not sure the size I just went to a machine shop and asked for something that fit but it should be too hard to find.

The pulley comes with a set screw or you can get a longer allen bolt if you want the screw to go in further but Ive done 2 now and the regular set screw works fine.

I drilled a small hole in the sleeve for the set screw to guide into. The Bronze is so soft that it threads no problem.

After you have the bronze sleeve in the pulley all you have to do is hammer on the assembly and put about 3 feet of rope on the handle and wrap it up and let her go!

If somebody could figure out the return spring that would be cool. The spring kept popping off for me. I would imagine if you could heat it up, bend it and get it mounted correctly you could leave the rope on it after starting with the right mount for the handle.

I just throw the rope in a backpack. No Biggee

And boom there you have it. ( The moped in video not tuned we just finished the pullstart and did a test video. The Moped Now runs great and fires Every Time. )

20121030_133309.jpg

Re: Honda Express NC50 Wind up to Pull Start Conversion

2S4Blood Hanson /

i came up short on the brass sleeve...can you tell me exactly where you got that from? or send one to me? thanks

2S4Blood Hanson /

Do u have the pulley? I can send you a spacer for 10 shipped or the pulley and bronze spaces for 30 shipped

cody blandford /

I just did the kick start conversion on a 77 I got wich did not run when I got it but its got great spark and good compression and it won't even pop with starting fluid when I kick it I was just wondering if you ever got it started with the kicker , I may try the pull start conversion

2S4Blood Hanson /

I could never get it to turn over or start with the kick starter

cody blandford /

I can kick mine over but I can only hear maybe one revolution , was the brass bushing pounded over the splines on the shaft and then the pullet over top of it ?

2S4Blood Hanson /

I drilled a hole in the brass piece. The put an Allen bolt into the pulley and brass piece. Then drill a hole for the pull string. Then pound the whole thing on at once

Need Help

1980 Honda NC50 wind up start not work. Followed directions to install side cover with parts in place.

It releases perfectly on the first pull of the starter lever.

But second attempt nothing. I am now well over 30 attempts of removal and replacement. I have followed the direction.

Can any help me?

Tom

2S4Blood Hanson /

It's possible your wind up spring is broken

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account