Indian AMI-50 not running

I posted about this a couple years ago and finances, at that time, prevented me from getting this fixed and I can't find my old post.

A relative gave me a pretty much mint condition 1981 Indian AMI-50 moped with only 1800 miles that he bought new. It had been sitting in his garage pretty much since he attempted to rebuild the carburetor and lost some parts to it. He told me either take it or he was going to scrap it, so I took it. I've had it for about three years and have done little to other than remove the old carb to see what exactly was missing and the old one is toast. I'm missing the whole top half and the throttle cable linkage.

I've looked on the 'Net and I can't Find a replacement....it looks like the carbs that were original equipment aren't made anymore and I don't see where anyone has a parts bike.

Does anyone know what I might be able to replace the original carb with?

Re: Indian AMI-50 not running

Cleats Onionpockets /

I have a junker ami-50 in the basement, lemme poke around and see if I have a carb I could send ya.

Thanks Cleats. PM sent. I really appreciate you checking

They came with 2 different carbs and intakes both are crummy. I fit a sha on one with a hose clamped to the intake then clamped to a piece of pipe that fit the carb with the proper shim. Kinda rigged but worked well.

Update.....the situation is not nearly as dire as I thought. After rummaging through the stuff that came with the bike and a quick call to my cuz, he set me straight. Apparently I didn't take the carb off the Indian (because he did) and what I thought was the bottom half of the carb was from something else that he couldn't recall, but whatever it was from it shouldn't have been in that box. Bonus for me, I guess....

He said he took the carb off but never took it apart because he was trying to replace the throttle cable (also in the same box). Good news, I have a complete carb that wasn't taken apart except for the top throttle assembly and Some of those parts were in the same box, too, in a baggie. I looked on the site that Brian Solex pointed me towards and I have also have the throttle slide, the needle valve(?), and the spring that goes under the top cap. I'm missing the top cap.

So....I guess my question has changed. Is that top cap all I need or is there something else, too? I found a (very large) thread on here that had blowups from the original manual, but all pictures of the throttle ended with the cable. There was no picture of the linkage to the carb

Sorry for all the questions and the length. I'm a reluctant occasional mechanic and know my way somewhat around my car engine, but not small engines and certainly not small ones with carbs.

Thanks in advance

There's a good diagram of the Tillotson carb, and some other carb info in this manual:

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manuals/Indian/Indian%20dealer%20service%20manual.pdf

Shoot....I don't have that particular carb (mine's a Keihin), but the diagram in that book is kind of instructive in that it shows me that I may have all of the parts except for the top cap.....and possibly the Keihin equivalent of the throttle shaft and lever (wouldn't that be on the cable?)

Thanks Brian for the link to The Parts Store (which is a couple miles from my cousin's place....dammit. Oh well) and it looks like they have the top cap I need. They also have the carb side throttle cable adjuster, but it doesn't specify for which carb. Hopefully, it's the Keihin.....I shall see and hopefully know tomorrow

Thanks to everyone for the help and patience in answering my questions

MK

everyone i've seen had the keihin, theyre easily found on ebay and are quite similar and mostly interchangeable with alotta the pitbike keihins and clones

but sounds like you got it squared away.

good luck with that bike, they can be quite a nightmare but can in some rare cases be pretty rad too...

Update....all necessary parts have been located. Carb is in the shop being cleaned. Road trip to The Parts Store next weekend to pick up the top cap adjuster and carb top cap (Believe it or not, my family lives just a few miles from TPC and I was going up there next weekend, anyway).

So last night, in preparation of getting this thing running and since it hadn't seen the road in 25 years, I de-rusted the gas tank using electrolysis and it went great. Unfortunately, the petcock is no good, so I'll need another one of those,m which I hope to buy.

Any of you former Indian owners know what size it is?

Or better yet...what size is the petcock nut. The old one is cracked.

Wonder how hard it would be to get something like that made at a machine shop.....the petcock itself looks to be OK, it's just the nut that's bad. I should be able to get something fabricated with the thread size (16mm x 1.5mm)

Yeah, a lot of times it seems the nut is more the problem. Any machine shop should be able to make a nut. But some hate to make just one piece.

You know, I'm half tempted to just go with the solution on the mopedarmy wiki....that looks to be easy enough and it'll get the bike on the road. If I can track down another petcock at some time, I'll get it, but as I said before. I'm more interested in getting it on the road than I am in keeping it original (although I'd like to keep it as org. as possible)

Update on the Indian.....Good news, bad news. Good news first. I was able to track down the carb cap and adjuster from The Parts Store, which happens to be up in Detroit, where I am originally from. Found a battery for it, too (which I'm sure is dead, but I can get that charged no prob at the neighborhood motorcycle shop). All the electrical is hooked up as well. There's a funky splitter off the battery positive wire that takes a spring that was missing and took me a little while to figure out, but as luck would have it, Home Depot had a spring that fit right in there and makes contact (at least nothing feels loose inside there now). Which leads me to my first question. Obviously, there's a fuse that goes in there. Anyone have any idea what amp it is?

Now for the bad news. The carburetor again, and pardon my inexperience here, but it seems that the jet is bent. The jet fits into top slide, correct?There's a scooter store not far from me and they cleaned the carb. Apparently, my cuz, back in the day when he was trying to disassemble it, bent that little jet(?) at some point. The scooter store mech said he tried to fix it but he doesn't have a good feeling about it as he can't see through it. So......is it even possible to get a new jet for the Keihin carb? Can I have one made?

A couple more things that I have found. I have the side covers, but not the hold down screws for them (I lost those....not blaming cuz for this one). Any ideas on what thread size they might be? The Parts Store has them in stock, but I am just looking to get some replacement screws to hold them on until either I go back up, or someone comes down that can bring them to me.

Last question.....there is also a screw in the throttle assembly on the right handlebar that holds each half together. This is missing, as well.....any ideas on its size? My guess is, without this, there's no way to get the throttle cable in......

Thanks in advance for all the help and patience with my lack knowledge of things small engine and moped! (edited)

Oh...and The Parts Store had a petcock nut, so I'm good on that, too....

OK....a little trial and error answered my last question from above regarding the throttle assembly on the handlebars. Screw measurements are M5x25mm and M5x30mm

Alright, the Indian is 100% back together. The battry's dead, so I' m taking it to the local cycle store and get it charged tomorrow while I'm at work. As to the issues I was having, the needle valve wasn't bent. It's working just fine. I retapped the cover screw holes at 5mm and just used screws and washers to keep them on.

The thing the guy that cleaned the carb out said about the carb was that he couldn't get the secondary jet cleaned out. Other than that, looks like we go for a start tomorrow!!

fallout Survivor /

Wasted effort... get a new battery...Any of those lead acid batteries that have been sitting around for years wont take a charge. Not sure from your post that you got a new battery... (edited)

The battery's not new....I bought it about three or four years ago. Guy at the motorcycle shop said it's fine, though

so is it on the road.

Unfortunately, not yet......My driveway is on a hill so I used that to try and start it yesterday and no joy. Seems like it's not getting spark. Took the ignition coil off the bike and had it bench tested and found the spark plug boot was bad and the coil was good, so I replaced that and still nothing. So I guess I need to check the points and condenser, now. I looked behind the magneto cover and didn't see the points moving at all, but as I'm no expert, I don't know that I'm even looking at the right thing. I know it's no spark because even starting fluid wouldn't get it to turn over. I guess the upshot is that the plug is wet and smells like gas......

This may sound dumb, but what's the best way to get the magneto cover off? Is there a place to set it so that you can get the bolt off without spinning the cover? I'm kinda leery of jamming a crowbar behind the cover to get the bolt off for fear of damaging anything that might be behind there. It's pretty crowded with coils/points/condenser back there. I suppose I also need to check the wiring back there, too, and make sure everything is still connected.

I think there's also a clutch or a pedal mechanism issue, too. It seems like when I switch it to start from the pedals, the clutch doesn't always engage when I roll it forward. The pedals also don't engage and the switch on the case feels a little mushy. This could be the decomp lever out adjustment, too. I adjusted it, but I'm not sure it's right. The manual's advice for just about everything seems to be get a mech. Some guidance on this would be appreciated, too.

I'm figuring that the pedal issue is probably not that important since other than starting, I can't see where pedaling a 140 lb beast is very easy. I can push it as fast as I can probably pedal it to start it.

What is the possibility that the points are frozen after 25 years sitting in one position? If so, is the best thing to just replace them or can they be saved? Should I just go ahead and replace the condenser while I'm at it to? If I replace the points, how do you time it?

I know this is a lot, but any advice is appreciated as I am as rookie when it comes to two wheeled vehicles

Thanks!

Have you checked out the manual? Instructions for removing the rotor (flywheel), setting the timing, adjusting the valves, adjusting the carb, etc. are all there:

http://projectmopedmanual.info/Manuals/Indian/Indian%20dealer%20service%20manual.pdf

I recommend that you print it out, sit next to your bike, and read the manual. Get yourself some good metric tools. Get the parts catalog, and the operator's manual:

http://www.partsstorellc.com/servlet/the-Indian-Moped-Parts/Categories

The tools mentioned for the rotor removal are a piston stop, which would look something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motobecane-Mobylette-Stroke-Limiter-Piston-Stop-VAR-394-Dealer-Moped-Tool-/230766780224?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bac59f40&vxp=mtr

and a rotor (flywheel) puller, which would look like this:

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/engine-tools/double-ended-flywheel-puller-(extractor)-(italian__indian-and-spanish-flywheels)/mbl0180.html

Andrew Bishop /

Did you ever get yours running sounds just like what is going on with mine

Nothing like a buncha dead Indians. Its what this country was founded on. J.s.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account