Maxi mkII za50 does not start??

I have a maxi mkII with a za50 on it. I put a tccd 70cc cylinder, hi head, 15mm bing (2.17 and 2.21 atomizers, 72 and 80 jets, needle 2 from top), high flow filter mesh, and an techno next exhaust on it. I can not for the life of me figure out why its not starting. I have tried to put the stock head back on it. I have run all kinds of combinations of base and head gaskets from 1 to 3 each. I have spark and fuel and compression. Fuel is making its way into the cylinder. It just does not turn over. Also have adjusted the stator for timing from left to center and right.. have timing a light but can use until at least running. I have set a new spark plug gap to .020 and points to .018. Piston is in place correctly with arrow down. Replaced pucks and 1st and 2nd gear looked good. I am trying to list everything done for the most accurate help from the experts. any suggestions?? much obliged.

Re: Maxi mkII za50 does not start??

Overpriced Parts /

Piston upside down? Use choke,

Flywheel a za50 not a e50 ,air leak?

Piston is in correct (double and triple checked), tried no choke, half choke and full choke. flywheel is a za50 one... counterclockwise rotation. I double checked for air leaks... doesn't seem to be any... but bike does not even want to attempt to start. what about crankcase overloaded? whats a good way to drain it, if so?? the bing carb is on a slight angle, would that be an issue? but there was fuel on backside of piston last time I opened it up. so I wouldn't think so.

Jordon Coughlin /

I just wanted to add a few things since I've been helping him wrench on it. 1st the small ledge inside the case was dremeled out so the tccd kit would fit inside the za50 cases, 2nd this kit needs 3 base gaskets to prevent the piston from clapping against the head (on both the stock and high comp o-ring version. I initially thought this was throwing off the port timing so we tried with 1 base and two metal head gaskets. Like Brent said b4 it has good spark, fuel, and plenty of air. I would normally assume timing but a puch has a fixed timing via the woodruff key and we have been at almost every position on the stator plate. What's the chance the crankcase is flooded due to not starting after dozen of attempts? Can't pedal due to exhaust but even w push starting can't even get it to attempt to start

Jordon Coughlin /

I know I am new to the site, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I have been working on bikes and motors for over ten years and have alot of experience on two strokes (grew up racing motox and never could afford a mechanic). I've only been playing with mopeds for the last year or so and have found that these small bore motors are so temperamental once you deviate from stock setup. I've spent countless hours reading advice given on MA and think its great how helpful the moped community is. I just wanted to give you all a quick bio and say any help at all on Brent's not starting issue is greatly appreciated

Overpriced Parts /

Actually I have better luck with kits and performance pipes/filters then slow boggy stock puch stuff

I agree with Ken, My mikuni and kstar fire up Every time. Though my stock set up with the bing would only work about 7/8ths of the time. After smacking it around and teaching it whose boss or actually cleaning something and turning some wrenches, would it work. Hmm, this seems like an odd issue. What kind of air filter are you running? If any. Sounds to me like your mixture is off. i know my 70cc kit would NOT start if i used anything but a high flow filter.

its a bing hi flow filter from treats.. cone shaped, metal. and yes this is a very odd issue going on to say the least!! any thoughts on crankcase being flooded? read other posts saying that can cause a no start?

Overpriced Parts /

Take a small screw driver and stick it onto the plug boot Hold it while cranking and feel for shock . If you have a shock then put a half a soda straw of gas in plug hole then put plug in and pedal

Michael Thomas /

Typically what I see when a ZA won't start that are tricky would be first that the stator side seal is shot and no gas is getting pulled into the cylinder. Put in a dry plug and try and turn the bike over. Pull the plug and see if it is wet, if so, we can move to the second thing which is a sheared woodruff key. It took me almost two weeks to get mine to start because I sheared a key and the flywheel kept moving on me. Pull the flywheel and make sure the key is ok then line up the flywheel and crank it tight using the rope trick. Set the points at .018 at TDC and that should get your bike started.

The woodruff key is new.. However, there is a leak in the stator side seal on crank. There is gas reaching the plus, but not sure how much? I am ordering new seals. I did n't want to right away, but I guess its time.

Ken, any luck on a new used crank or flywheel for za50?

Overpriced Parts /

This guy by me gots a few puch parts engines and moped parts that I wanted to buy/get from him but he is in no hurry I guess. He said he would sell me the stuff weeks ago. He is never home or answers the phone or door . As soon as I get a hold of the parts za50 from him I'll sell you the crank if it's good

Michael Thomas /

Just because the key is new, does not mean it is not sheared. If you did not crank the flywheel tight, it would have spun and sheared the key, check that also.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account