Hobbit wiring help

Neil Burgess /

ok. got my motor rebuilt- put in one of those hobbit cdi units- new cdi box- new coil for the cdi. got the hobbit to run with the bare minimum connected.

problem is this- no lights- Can't seem to figure out the rectifier and am not producing 6 or 12 volts anywhere. Tried to follow the diagram on the wiki but thats a bunch of shit whoever "colorized" it only managed to cover up the stock wire color codes. so I have a tail from the front of the bike hanging- and the tail to the rear of the bike hanging- it does run but when I wire in the stock rectifier it only puts out 1.5v.

So much for specialized electronics training for 12v systems- I can do anything in a car- but I don't know jack when it comes to AC to DC conversion. I'm just not following.

If anyone has a better diagram I'd appreciate it! Especially if you have a diagram with the stock color codes from points setup to cdi that would be ideal. It's that or I put the points back in and try to get some lights that way!

Re: Hobbit wiring help

Neil Burgess /

yup. put the points/generator back in and lights work and it runs. There's about a $150 lesson in hobbit wiring. This cdi might make 1 run with no electronics- but I be damned if I could make it all work together with the lights. Points are the solution till I find better. F-ed with it for 2 days. Took an hour to put it back the way it was. The weather is beautiful- I'm gonna ride it this way!

Neil Burgess /

Gave 1 more shot at putting the CDI in- not sure what rectifier this setup needs but from what I can tell I think I'd need a battery to run the lights and the cdi will only charge said battery. The cdi wiring says red or brown for lights(also says needs rectifier) but with the stock rectifier it only puts out 1.5v. Very confusing. The ignition side of the cdi is no problem. It runs ok.

So for now keeping the points- I ride on the street and can't go without lights.

Anyone else put the cdi into a 6v(no battery) hobbit and have this problem? What part of this am I missing? Different rectifier? Add a battery? Or is this 1977 kit a piece of junk?

Emil Kniemel /

im pretty sure you need a battery with the CDI.

the hobbits that came with CDIs had a little battery compartment spot.

xxXxXX XxxxxxXX /

you don't need a battery or a rectifier to run lights on a hobbit. but a voltage regulator is recommended. here's a silly diagram i made when i was hardwiring mine, it's much easier to just re-wire the whole damn bike than to use the insane mess of wires that they come with. this bike started off with CDI, so if you're using a mix of points and cdi components, the colors may be different. but this is how the cdi box hooks up on a stock-cdi pa50ii.

(edited)

If you're still stuck, I can upload a pic of my personal setup with stock CDI and battery. I have my key switch, indicators, winkers and lo-beam removed or disabled. THe battery is nice to have for the voltage boost at idle (edited)

Neil Burgess /

Wish that I knew what the power requirement is for the cdi box- It's black wire from the cdi stator to red on the box- Is the stock generator's output compatible? I am considering keeping my current generator and just putting the pickup coil in place of my points, add in the cdi box and ignition coil, and light it up. Anybody tried it before?

I don't think the stock non-CDI stator will work.

The stock CDI-hobbits, like the point-hobbits, run a 6V generator. However, the CDI's have two specific coils for the CDI: a pulse coil (black/red wire) and an exciter coil (blue/yellow wire).

My CDI-hobbit was missing everything electrical but the stator when I got it, but I was able to replace it's parts with a NA50's electronics, which are 100% compatible.

I'm thinking maybe the NA50/PA50ii stators are interchangeable, too, since their wiring diagrams are identical. Check the Honda Express manual for details--it's a lot better than the Hobbit manual.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account