I installed a new piston kit in an E50 engine...help!

I torn down my E50 Engine on my 1980 Puch Maxi Luxe to see if I could figure out why I was loosing power and the engine making lots of noise when it was under load going up hills ( worked fine on flat land ) . Didn't see any bearing problems or worn parts, the only part that looked bad was the piston. It had small scratchs or grooves up and down one side, so I bought a new piston kit with new ring, piston and head. I put it all back together and it starts fine, but now it has no power at all ( 5 mph ). I am guessing the timing is probably off. I will probably have to borrow someones dept gauge to fine TDC of the piston and then determine the firing mark. I measured the gap between the points and it is in the ball park between .014 ans .018 as it should be. I loosen up the three m4 screws that hold the armatuer plate in place ( slotted holes ) and moved it slightly in both directtions but that didn't help. If the timing is off by one degree, would that be enough to make the engine loose power?

Re: I installed a new piston kit in an E50 engine...help!

If you never changed the timing, why would it be timing? Besides, as long as your points are gapped relatively sanely, since you can really only change the timing on a Puch by a few degrees, it's unlikely that it's so far off that it's only going five mph.

What type of kit is it? Is it a larger displacement kit? Did you check for air leaks? Did you change your jetting if it is a larger displacement kit?

Corey Shaner /

The kit was a direct replacement for my E50 high torque motor. And no, I did not check for air leaks, but I did install all the new gaskets the kits came with. I will check for airs leaks. Thank you for your help. I don't know much about engines but I am learning thanks to people like yourself.

put your hand partially over the carb and see if that improves your acceleration(be careful not to get your hand in the chain!) if it does you need a larger jet

Corey Shaner /

- Checked the timing, it is right on.

- Checked the point gap it is good.

- The piston kit I put in was supposed to be a replacement for my 49cc E50 engine ( so I would imagine the displacement is the same )

- I took the float off the carburator, and I see that the gasket on the float is just about disinegrated. Possible air leak there? Although that didn't seem to be a problem before I installed the new piston kit.

- Starts fine, took it up the road, which is flat. It seems to run fine, maybe even a little faster than before, but when I started to go up a significant grade it just lost all power and I had to turn around and come back down the hill ( before I could go up the hill at around 15mph ). It does seem to hesitate just a little when I first open up the accelerator.

- how do holding my hand over the carburator affect the engine ?

-How do you discconect the throttle cable from the carb?

Holding your hand over the carb restricts air from going in thus the mixture will be more rich.

how i disconnected the cable from the carb

1.) loosened the cable from the throttle being VERY carefull not to pull the cable though then re-tightened

2.) Depressed the spring as far as i could into the carb slide

3.) pressed the cable hard

4.) slid the cable end from the hole it sits in into the bigger hole on the bottom of the carb slide.

5.) removed cable

Hope that helps >_<

air leaks?

piston in upside down (right way is arrow on top of piston points to exhaust)?

if theres no air leaks my best guess is you got ur piston upside down, as maciek said. i did this once and had the same problem.

Corey Shaner /

I checked the piston direction and I have it installed correctly ( arrow pointing toward exhaust ). I was almost hoping it would have been wrong. Thanks for your help.

Corey Shaner /

The piston is installed correctly. I know the gasket on my float is bad , so that may be part of the problem. My spark plug is an NGK B5HS and it is not burning white ( kind of black with a little hint of unspent gas on it ). Might try to put a new spark plug in it ( maybe a hottet plug ). I'm not even should how to deterime the correct spark plug.

Is there any good way to check for air leaks?

Salsa Salsa /

Tell us more about this set up. Where did you get the cylinder? Its a direct replacment? Its a nos? Or something else?

Corey Shaner /

I went to the Moped Junk Yard website and found a Puch Piston Cylinder kit. It showed a picture of the Hi Torque cylinder ( like the one on my 49cc E50 engine ). The kit included the piston, ring, gaskets and matching cylinder head. ( Part no for the kit is PM-010 ).

Would this be considered a direct replacement for what I had? Because it was a different piston and cylinder would that have changed the displacement at all? I'm not very knowledgeable on engines, so I hope that what I bought was OK. Link below.

http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/puchpistoncylinder.html

Salsa Salsa /

Says there. 49cc performance cylinder kit. Did you rejet it? If it is a "performance cylinder" it make need to be rejetted. . .

Corey Shaner /

I looked for a number on the jet and the only thing I see stamped on the side of it is 2,12A or possibly 12,12A no other numbers How would I know the jet size from that number?

Salsa Salsa /

You pulled out the atomizer. The jet in on the end. It it two parts. The jet is stamped with a number. Super small.

Corey Shaner /

The people on this website are brilliant................as for me I'm learning.

I'll find out the jet size and maybe go one size bigger. Thank you.

Salsa Salsa /

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

The one thread relevant for brad pitts upjet dummy picture and he's nowhere to be found. Sad days.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account