Pro Tip: Rusty Gas Tank

Sick of banging nuts/bolts/pennies around in your gas tank then fishing them out for hours? I read on a Ducati forum to use "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. The stuff is like $2.00 a jug and works pretty damn well! Used it in my rusted ass Garelli tank last night. Best of all you just pour it in, and let it do all the work! I shook the tank up every 10 minutes or so.

If all you guys knew this already, well fuck you.

Re: Pro Tip: Rusty Gas Tank

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

well, fuck me. CLR works good too.

More of a reminder,

than a "pro tip".

Nicholas Cole /

Just trying to help riders who may not have thought/heard of this; title it what you want.

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

do you still use baking soda to neutralize this when you are done with the treatment like you would when using a muriatic acid and water mix?

Nicholas Cole /

I didn't. I washed it out with HOT soapy water a few times then sprayed the inside of the tank with WD-40.

I actually thought about using muriatic acid, but that is much stronger and i'd rather not burn the shit out of myself.

Thanks man. Was about to dive into this project soon but as a pool guys acis scare me. Nasty shit acid is and dont wanna have to balance the PH after that would piss me off. Will be picking up a jug of this after work and make it the weekend project along with timing. Much appreciated. Add to wiki so it can be stored forever and ever.

This is already in the wiki.

Fuck me?!

Fuck you!!

;P

Paul

Draino pour half o gallon inside the tank and leave for

a couple days and will shine like new make sure to rinse

with alcohol after?

Nicholas Cole /

Ah damn this totally is in the Wiki already :-(

Thought I was a poineer n shit

The works will cause pitting and in some case WILL burn through your tank depending on how long you leave it in. Evaporust is the best thing and safest to use because it only attacks the rust. The only downside is that it's expensive and it takes a little more time than the others mentioned.

fallout Survivor /

The works is (depending) 7 to 20 percent w/v Muriatic or Hydrocloric acid. The concentration should be listed on the container, perhaps in fine print. It is the most cost effective solution. If you flush sufficiently with water, no neutralization is necessary. Of course do not leave it in your tank for a long period, without

inspecting the results. It will selectively dissolve the iron oxide, but it can more slowly dissolve mild steel. Do not allow aluminium parts to be exposed to it.

So is my leaving my tank filled with apple cider vinegar for a week and going to Oregon a bad idea? I asked about the sealants on another post. Most were negative on them and then another knowledgeable type said to use the pa 15 ( or whatever it's exact name is).....what's a newbie to do??

I did not see that thread, but I am going to try the two part sealer that Caswell's sells. It's a bit expensive, but it should be superior to the one part offerings that others sell.

Paul

Keep tryin' I am sure there is something you can pine ear.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account