Dim/Flickering lights - Motobecane

Alejandro Schröeder /

She was perfectly fine last night. Earlier today i bumped into a car so i dont know if that would be anything.

Right after work i was filling her up with mixed gas and spilled a decent amount over the body. May have gotten into the magneto. Anyways i started her up and she was flickering. I started running it and lights went very dim. When i hit kill switch the lights become bright fora second before engine stops. I tried cleaning everything with electrical cleaner from Autozone. Nothing seemed to work

Help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Dim/Flickering lights - Motobecane

Check groundstrap.. . .

Alejandro Schröeder /

Where do i find that

Alejandro Schröeder /

Also another observation. The brake light works perfectly fine. But the regular tail/headlight and speedo light are dim and go complete dark when the brake light is on

Alejandro Schröeder /

Any ideas?

Alejandro Schröeder /

atleas someone tell me where the ground strap and il start from there

SkUG SkUGosarus /

i think its the strap that goes from the frame to the engine - just check all grounds whilst ur there too

Bonding strap goes from the top engine mount bolt on the right side to the lower external coil mounting stud.

Replace it for a wire going from one of the intake mounting studs to the lower external coil mounting stud.

Get rid of the master switch from hell and hard wire your bike.

Alejandro Schröeder /

I'll take a look at it tonight, would cleanng the points be a fantastice idea?

Alejandro Schröeder /

So i took a look. Grounding strap seems perfectly fine. What bugs me was that she was perfectly fine after two things happened that were different that day. I sided with a car and spilled about a cup of gas on her when filling up. Should i clean the points?

Alejandro Schröeder /

Also anothet observation. I was wiggling everything that can wiggle and the only cable tjst makes everything flicker the most is the speedo cable around the area near the brake drum. Also happens to be the side that was hit against the car. But it doesn't make any sense since the speedo cable isn't electrical.

Idk. This doesn't make any sense. Everything working and suddenly not :/

Something got knocked loose in fender bender, check the conects by speedo lights, it is normal for the lights to dim with the brake light coming on, I would not bother the points unless bike is not running well. You have a loose ground somewhere is my guess, there is a ground on the fork I think on the left side I think? Check that. Best of luck.

Alejandro Schröeder /

I checked all of the grounds and they seemed good, I wiggled everything and the only respomce i get i from the speedo cable near the drum brake. I domt get why.

SkUG SkUGosarus /

is your horn under the speedo? speedo light? maybe?

From what u wrote it sounds like a wire at your speedo is shorting to the frame via something at your cable--look for a wire touching metal around your headlight or horn--electrical thief!!

Alejandro Schröeder /

Can I use this 12V hardwire diagram for my 6V?

I'm sick of this problem

(edited)

I would again suggest to replace the bonding strap from a better connection on the motor like the intake stud to go to the lower external coil stud. If the bonding strap is sketchy your electrical common (ground) will be via your control cables (decompressor, throttle and choke) which is not the best connection.

I can not see the bike so I can not tell if there is a connection which has been knocked loose or even broken. Motobecanes have brass contacts on the electricals not copper so they do need to be cleaned up from time to time. Could be a combination of all of that together. Make sure the zener diode has a good tight connection electrically and it is on the frame goodly.

If you disconnect the accessory wire from the back of the genny and attach a volt meter on low volt AC you should get between 4 and 8 volts just above idle and 8 volts with the rpm up. If not then you would want to change the zener diode or substitute a 6 volt regulator.

There are a lot of wiring diagrams over at Mabecane Forum, including 6 volt, perhaps those will help -

http://mabecanemobylette.freeforums.org/wiring-diagrams-t1095.html

Anyone find a 6v reg cheaper than $35? Do old automotive/tractor regulators work?

thanks,

~M

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account