Ciao tapping noise

Took the top end off of my 1981 Vespa Ciao the wrist pin seems to be just fine only problem is I am missing a head gaskette, and the gasket at the bottom of the cylinder did not line up with the little shoulder holes probably tapping on that now wat are some good gaskettes to use on cylinder and head?

Re: Ciao tapping noise

Also how do I put my cylinder back on without breaking a ring

there are little pins in the ring grooves that the ends are supposed to meet at. lign up the rings at the proper location, squeeze the ring and the cylinder should slide on easily

I don't have those little pins looks like the rings have little sections that are cut like a step and they overlap. I was think about a hose clamp

My pistion has movement from left to right and the needle bearing seems to float back and fourth freely. Is this normal?

don't use a head gasket, just lap the head and top of cylinder on some fine oily sandpaper on a sheet of glass, in figure 8s, should seal fine nice and flat and will give you better compression.

the rings are cut out like that to go over the pins, turn them around on the piston and you will find the pin, then should be able to squeeze the rings flush with your fingers, oil it up and slide it in there, don't just try to ram it in dry, just like with a lady..

Finally found the pins they were on the sides kind od hard to find in a dim garage with engine still in bike wrist pin checked out just fine. Don't know where tapping noise is comming from. Because everything seemed pretty tight no excessive play. Now all I need to do is find some lightbulbs

Found little pins. Thaanks hard to find cuz engine was left in bike and bad lighting

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account