Puch Magnum won't start or turn over

I'd been riding my magnum all summer without incident, until yesterday. Yesterday when I compressed the start lever and stomped down on my pedal there was less resistance than normal, and it took a few more kicks to get the engine to turn over. This morning was worse and I was only able to start after biking down a hill. And now the Puch is completely dead. It feels like the pedal isn't engaging the engine at all- when I stomp down, the back wheel makes a whirring sound and spins until it stops of it's own accord. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks

Re: Puch Magnum won't start or turn over

Probably Fred /

Adjust starter clutch cable

Sacha Pfeufer /

Which end?

Sacha Pfeufer /

The cable doesn't look loose, and when I pull the lever the arm on top of the engine moves.

Probably Fred /

Za50 or e50 engine

Sacha Pfeufer /

It's an E50. I took apart the starter lever and realized I need a new clutch cable anyway (the cable was so brittle it broke when I took it apart). Is there anything else it could be?

The cable was probably just stretched and old. It would still engage the arm on the engine, but it didn't provide enough pressure on the plate to keep it from slipping when it was fighting the compression of the engine. Hence it feeling like it wasn't engaging the engine ... because it was slipping instead of engaging. Replace the cable and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, we can probably give you some other things to try, but my bet is that a new cable fixes it. (edited)

It's not a starter. It's the clutch cable. The cable has to be engaged enough to pull the clutch together to where the engine will turn when you kick the pedal.

Whilst you have the cable off, try tieng some rope on the starter engage arm and pull it to try and start, if it starts its a new cable, if not then something else is wrong

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account