motobecane le moped freewheel

I have a motobecane Le moped with a 20 tooth freewheel that is broken, can I put a regular bicycle freewheel on there? would it matter if it was a 16T or 18T and not a 20? If not, where can I get a motobecane freewheel?

Re: motobecane le moped freewheel

https://www.treatland.tv/moped-rear-pedal-sprocket-freewheel-p/rear-pedal-sprocket.htm

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?6,2818933

I've heard of putting the freewheel nut in a vise and then turning the rim( for leverage) to loosen it.

I'd probably go to the bike shop route, freewheels are known to be a bitch. (edited)

i have the freewheel off, my question is can i use a regular bicycle freewheel or do they have to be moped specific?

David Theriault /

It may be french threaded, in which case a modern BMX freewheel won't work, if it is English threaded I don't see why a BMX freewheel would be a problem. My two Motobecanes from 75 and 78 were french threaded I believe. I didn't pay too much attention because I was just removing them and going pedal-less. Which means I've probably got a couple around if you want one. To determine the threading you can try to thread a bicycle bottom bracket lockring onto the hub or a left side bottom bracket cup into a freewheel, a local bike shop should be able to help you with that at least even if they probably won't have a french threaded single speed freewheel around. http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

my freewheel that came off it says made in france if that makes a difference?

David Theriault /

What's wrong with the old freewheel?

French bicycles changed over to english threading around the late 70's. Not sure if Motobecane mopeds ever followed suit or not. If the old freewheel is seized up soak in wd-40 and clean it out, then relube it with some heavier oil like "Phil's tenacious oil" or a chain lube intended for wet conditions.

not seized, just randomly locks up and keeps the pedals turning.

David Theriault /

try the WD then.

David Theriault /

If you're handy enough and the bearing surfaces aren't destroyed these can be rebuilt with new bearings as well.

I just took my 78 Moby freewheel apart to clean and lube. Their not to hard to put back together. Use some greast to keep all the bearings in place and gently assemble it. I found that my ball bearings (not the elongated spacer bearings) were half chewed here ant there. I put a mic on them and they seemed to be approx 3mm. I ordered some off of ebay. 100 ball bearings for 5 bucks free shipping. High grade Chrome ball bearings. Here are what my bearings looked like. You too may have the same issue but one of your chopped up bearings is hanging up in there now and again resulting in a lock up. (edited)

0811121837b.jpg
0811121836.jpg

David Theriault /

Best to flush the grease out afterwards and replace with oil, grease will be too stiff for most pawl springs to operate properly. I like rebuilding freewheels, but it might just be grit or rust particles causing your problems as well, so might as well try cleaning it out first. Dusty, were those 1/8" bearings you ended up ordering? or 3/32"? Local bike shops should have these as well. Grade 25 is good but the tolerances of these bearings will exceed the tolerance of the bearing races in this instance so grade 300 will work just as well.

i guess i'll attempt to take it apart and see, cant hurt at this point. i think the PO of this ped told me he did that already though and replaced bearings?

David Theriault /

Possible I suppose, but not really the sort of job the average moped user does. New wheel bearings or crankcase bearings sure, but I don't think that many people go into their freewheels. Could be wrong though! Still if it's not currently working properly it doesn't matter what the last guy did!

BE PREPARED WITH A TERICLOTH TOWEL UNDER IT WHEN YOU TEAR IR APART!!!!

i use a small pen like magnet to gather all the bearings. I have rebuilt MANY freewheel assemblys. Only one French one, my solex. I greased that one and it works real nice. It still "Clicks" just not super loud anymore. I dont pack the grease in there like im packing truck wheel bearings or anything. I use a small flux brush and lightly brush a little grease on the race/cup to keep the pcs. in place. I follow up with oil in the future. Havent had a problem doing it this way since i was a kid. I just have never come across half eaten balls... I used my Vernier Calliper to measure one of the best balls i had and it measured between 2.8 and 2.9 mm. I figured my cheap ass composite harbor freight calliper was off a little so i called it 3mm. The bearings i ordered were grade 25. If they don't work, i will just add them in my leather bag i use to hammer metal. i didn't know what else to do.

There are other people who are nutz enough to take anything apart to see if it is possible to rework.

http://mabecanemobylette.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=885

This is what was called "Character building" back in the day...

So it seem my balls are gonna be 1mm too big.... good grief...lol oh well, looks like i do it the same way you do though Rebel. I just need to invest in a better Vernier Calliper i guess. I bought that one for RC car tuning, shock length and tie rods and such... percision this exact wasn't a big deal then... now it IS. Live and learn, and your right, it builds character for sure.

David Theriault /

My experience rebuilding freewheels is strictly from the bicycle side of things, grease is great for assembly, really the only way to do it, but the oil added later on will never clean it out properly and it will hold dirt and debris better than oil will and will be harder to clean out and only shortens the lifespan of your overhaul. Bearings like grease but pawls don't. 24 years in the bicycle industry has told me this.

Rebel Moby great read on your link, when I said your average moped user does not do this I mean nobody ever tried to sell me a moped or listed a moped and mentioned rebuilding the freewheel. Of course, you are not your average moped user!

David, I respect your method of assembly. Most of my experience comes from bicycles as well, as stated above. I have only rebuilt one Solex freewheel and it worked out nice. I guess my theory is,the grease does heat up, but it doesn't throw itself out of the assembly as easy as oil. In a moped application i guess my theory was; prolonged distance and constant higher speed, the grease would fit the bill. It may require more attention due to dirt. I have always been one to service my freewheels every one or two years anyway, just to do it. Because back then, it WAS hard to figure out thow to rebuild them. A couple bikes i owned as a kid, i wouldn't have been able to ride it if i didn't fix the freewheel.They were rusted from bike being left in the rain.That is when i decided to start using grease as well. There were many lost bearings and days lost riding bmx with friends. I encourage everyone to tear apart at least one, old freewheel they have lying around and give it a try..grease or oil. I had to read Rebels thread a second time to see where he instructed to clean the grease out and oil them. I believe it will work either way. (edited)

For freewheels (and lots of other things) oil is superior to grease, for assembly I do prefer grease because it works great as a temporary adhesive to keep the rods pawls n balls where they should be while you are reassembling the innards.

A lot of the instructionals are beyond what others would try, however, when you live in the middle of nowhere you have to learn to take all sorts of stuff apart and rebuild it. I was also prompted in this case by Alan the bicycle guy near here who said "Just rebuild the freewheel" when mine jammed up and turned the pedals into the thrashing whirligig from hell... but then Alan has packages, boxes, jars and envelopes of bicycle parts in vast quantities in his shop.

i have no issue with buying a new one, just need to find one. havnt seen any 20 tooth ones.

This was for my Hobbit so I'm not certain that it will work for you, but if you can't find a 20T, you might be interested in this:

Honda pt. no. 41210-148-000 22T freewheel $10.90

I bought one of these through my local Honda dealer a couple of years ago.

Danny at MopedLand in UK has 20T 36mm×1mm pitch freewheels for £10 each plus shipping...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

just as a note subtracting a tooth in front is eqaul to adding three in the back.

David Theriault /

This is the pedal side, not the drive side, a couple more or less teeth won't affect much of anything unless you plan on pedaling this thing around. Should still be reasonable to start I would think. I've got a used 20t freewheel if you want to buy it. cheap.

picked up a 20T freewheel today from a bike shop.

anyone have a picture of how the derailuer is suppose to go with the chain? I didnt take the wheel off so I dont know how it went.

Chain goes over the pedal sprocket, over the rear wheel sprocket and under the tensioner for the older ones that look like a wheel on the end of a stick. Newer ones with the S type tensioner the chain goes like an S through it not a Z

i have the plastic one up front by the pedal sprocket, i looked around on here for a pic showing the routing but have not found one.

David Theriault /

I don't recall precisely, but if you load the spring by winding it up a bit instead of unwinding, that is the direction the tensioner will want to go, there are only a couple of possibilities, so try it out. As I said before, I take all that stuff off. :) sorry that probably wasn't super helpful. What i really wanted to say was...

Thanks for using your local bicycle shop.

so, the hub the freewheel screws onto is stripped! fixable? anyone ever put a helicoil on one?

this is on my le moped with the gold colored mag wheels and I have not seen any for sale so I could just replace the whole thing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account