pa50 stalls

I have a 78 PA50 MkI. I had it running fairly well. It still starts easily with the choke and will keep running with the choke on. When you release the choke it just barely idles. When I twist the throttle it dies. I've opened the carb drain to drain the bowl and completely replaced the fuel in the tank and ran some of the new fuel out the drain to make sure. It still stalls out when you open the throttle.

Re: pa50 stalls

take off the float bowl and clear the jet

did you adjust the air screw? clean the carb 50,000 times to try and not miss anything (like the idle ciruit). Do you have an air leak somewhere? if you need to leave the choke on then you are getting too much air from somewhere....

I cleaned the carb by taking off the float bowl and unscrewed the brass thing. I cleaned it out with a wire. I put it back together and it ran well for about 10 minutes, then the symptoms returned. I guess there is a bit of dirt in some passageway. I'm getting pretty good at getting that carb in and out. I swapped stainless Allen head screws in place of the Philips head screws and it makes it much quicker. I even got a crude wooden stand for the front wheel so I can get clearance to get the carb out. BTW I would pull out the plugs and give it a thorough clean, but I plan on using the bike on a trip in a week and don't have time to wait for mail order parts. I got a spare clone carb I'll throw in tomorrow and see if it works. I'm ready to start swarming!

fallout Survivor /

You need to clean it vigorously, remove the welch plug and use compressed air. These carbs are a pain to clean.

fallout Survivor /

Check the fuet tank, for any sign of fine rust, also take out the petcock, dissassemble and clean it. Install an inline paper filter element to try to catch any fine rust which could block the very tiny channels in the Mikuni carb.

(There is a PA50 I and a PA50II) . Not sure what you meant by PA50 MKI.

If you have the PA50I (frame coral red with cream white tank), you are only going to swarm at 25 mph maximum due to the restrictions built into that restricted model. What color is your 1978? If it is yellow you have the PA50II.

I'm getting good at getting it in and out of the bike! BTW I snapped the flange off the clone carb I had put on, so I got to get the original working. MK1 means mark I or PA50 I. I been holding off on drilling out the plugs as I ain't got replacements on hand. I might have to take a chance on it and make do with some buckshot to replace them. I had this machine purring 2 weeks ago...

Clean the carb using instructions in the wiki

I went out and bought a cheapo Chinese compressor. I pulled the welch plug and squirted and blew out all the tiny passages. It worked and the machine is running fairly well again. Well it does about 20mph, which is good enough for a while. Thanks for the help guys.

Emil Kniemel /

20mph is the top speed of the pa50i.

Check to see if the weights variate....if your front variator moves....

17 is the speed at which shows they are fuct-flattened-stuck.- inspect variator weights.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account