garelli flywheel installation help

Johnny Jones /

I have a 1983 garelli super sport that ran good before I took it into my basement. i got some water in my basement and I lost spark on my bike. I took the flywheel off and behold the magneto had collected a little surface rust, so I cleaned the minor rust off and cleaned the points and now I cannot seem to get the flywheel back on. If someone can give me some insight on how to reinstall it I would be very grateful. Thanks, lloyd

Re: garelli flywheel installation help

♣Slew Foot♣ /

there is a woodruff key that aligns the firing position, flywheel has a keyway that has to match the key on the crank, once they are lined up you can torque it down to about 32 ft lbs, good to go.

i will give you a little advice. it is way easier to have the points too far open to setup than being too far closed to reset. when i do the flywheel i will always set the points all the way in so the feeler is almost on the crank, then when you reassemble get to TDC advance to the recomended firing zone put the feeler gauge in there and loosen and retighten to set the point gap.

Johnny Jones /

Hey, thanks alot for the advice, I am going to give it a shot this weekend. lloyd

to set points, turn flywheel to the position where points are open widest, set gap to .014"- .018". The advanced timing mark is where the points just start to open. don't set gap in that position.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account