Moped Exhaust Leak?!

So I got my moped running for longer than three days!!! In fact its been about two months running. And besides cleaning the carb from all of the rust deposits (I'm going to clean the Gas tank) it has been maintenance free. Then the exhaust started leaking haha. It sounds weird but its true. It drips this black oil from the exhaust. I'm not mixing the fuel rich with oil as I thought that was the problem and now I'm running it as close the the real fuel oil ratio as possible. I am using SAE-30 oil because I ran out of two stoke and the side cover to the moped says I can.

Moped- Puch Maxi-Luxe Hi-Torque 1978.

Re: Moped Exhaust Leak?!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Leaking at the header, or the tailpipe?

Overpriced Parts /

Boy is that stupid on your part You can ruin it by not using 2 stroke oil

The carbon build up is worse then running castor bean oil.

Those stickers are 30 years old when leaded gas was used too

Yikes you are blocking up your exhaust now too .

DRAIN THE GAS OUT OF YOUR TANK NOW.

DO NOT RUN WITH THAT MIX .

Boy o Boy

End of the exhaust pipe where the baffle is. I have a picture but it was too big.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Jake D Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> End of the exhaust pipe where the baffle is. I

> have a picture but it was too big.

A drop here and there is normal. A puddle isn't normal.

Ya I have a small puddle after I go for more than a fifteen minute ride. I found out that it's the four stroke oil though. I checked my piston rings cylinder and exhaust port for any signs of wear and it's all good so I am going to finish this tank of gas then start running two stoke oil again.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

A new petcock and float needle will fix that.

I got a new petcock. Float needle is on my to do list. Thanks so much!

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

holy shit!

I thought you could use 10W40 and other similar oils, but you run the risk of fouling plugs extremely easily?

I've dumped 50:1 in a quart of gas here or there with 10W40 if I've been in a pinch, or it's an empty bike and I just want to see if it runs and never had any serious issues or plugs fouling.

Now that I think of it I have had to clean my plug alot more!!! Thanks for pointing that out. It gets more carbon build up when I use motor oil... Why didn't I think of that?!?!

Overpriced Parts /

It can block up/ruin stuff quick .

just one tank can make your piston rings stick in the lands/grooves

I took apart dozens of puchs and I seen what crap oil can do

Ok I'm gonna look at my piston rings tomorrow. I still have excellent compression and my cylinder isn't scored so I don't think anything severe has happened yet.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account