Puch Newport Idles Way High Accelerates iself

Sean Colgan /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hey everyone. I've been riding my 80' Newport all summer pretty much with no real big issues at all. The other day when riding it began to bog down at WOT. It was intermittent and i made it home. I figured rust got back into the carb. I cleaned the tank the best i could when i got the moped but it flash rusted on me. I did get a TON of crap out of the tank though.

So maybe the rust just built up again.

So I went to clean the carb, and there was definitely some crap in the jets etc, so i cleaned all that out and re-assembled. Once i got gas to the carb and got it started, the idle was WAYYYY high, like never before. I did not touch the idle screw before or after i cleaned the carb.

I tried to adjust the screw but it just kept revving like crazy! I took it for a spin and it ran well except for the super super high idle and i also did not even need to twist the throttle to accelerate up to 20 mph!!! So thats a problem.

Any ideas? When i was trying to adjust the idle screw it was not doing much, unless i was just not patient enough? Which direction lowers the idle? Right or left? I really don't know.

Also, would adjusting the throttle cable do anything for idle?

Thanks for any input.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account