Puch Newport Idles Way High Accelerates iself

Hey everyone. I've been riding my 80' Newport all summer pretty much with no real big issues at all. The other day when riding it began to bog down at WOT. It was intermittent and i made it home. I figured rust got back into the carb. I cleaned the tank the best i could when i got the moped but it flash rusted on me. I did get a TON of crap out of the tank though.

So maybe the rust just built up again.

So I went to clean the carb, and there was definitely some crap in the jets etc, so i cleaned all that out and re-assembled. Once i got gas to the carb and got it started, the idle was WAYYYY high, like never before. I did not touch the idle screw before or after i cleaned the carb.

I tried to adjust the screw but it just kept revving like crazy! I took it for a spin and it ran well except for the super super high idle and i also did not even need to twist the throttle to accelerate up to 20 mph!!! So thats a problem.

Any ideas? When i was trying to adjust the idle screw it was not doing much, unless i was just not patient enough? Which direction lowers the idle? Right or left? I really don't know.

Also, would adjusting the throttle cable do anything for idle?

Thanks for any input.

Re: Puch Newport Idles Way High Accelerates iself

Jason King /

That happened to me on my sha carb and it was the throttle cable getting hung up on the boot where it enterd the carb. Just a thought.

Overpriced Parts /

Cable issue/ too tight

Maybe air leak

Yeah, im leaning towards a cable issue. Maybe something got out of place when i re-assembled. It feels fine and sounds fine, like it opens easy and then drops down to close easy but when i get a chance ill take it apart and re-assemble.

It may be a while as my tank got so gunky (and i only noticed today when trying to get gas back to the carb) again over the summer after i used vinegar to get the rust out. Think im going to go with chemicals this time.

Thanks for the input!

Got the tank as clean as I think I'll be able too. Got the Newport started and messed with the throttle cable and idle screw and got it running a little better. When stopped, the bike would surge forward from time to time. That has me thinking air leak. In removing the carb a bunch of times since Ive had the bike I've noticed the paper gasket getting less and less gasket like so I have some replacements on the way. I'm going to check for air leaks in its current state and then replace the gaskets where there are leaks and that sould....be it but we shall see.

readjust the idle using cable adjustment. If it still idles high, look for air leaks. Maybe at the mount to the intake? Common spot for Puchs to leak

Harry Crank Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> readjust the idle using cable adjustment. If it

> still idles high, look for air leaks. Maybe at the

> mount to the intake? Common spot for Puchs to leak

That is where I'm going to check as the current gasket is almost non existent. Trying to find time tomorrow or Tuesday to work on it. Thanks for the tip.

Mine had an air leak there on the factory jug, intake actually warped forming an arc, Took it to a belt sander and flattened it out. Also took a palm sander to flatten out the jug. threw a little gasket maker on there sealed it up lowered the idle but not significantly. Also didn't find this out until recently but some jackass wrapped the throttle cable sleeve in electrical tape so it was binding up the cable. This binding did now allow my slide to go all the way down.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account