honda urban express dies going up hills and hard to start

Here is what ive done so far. cleaned the petcock, cleaned the filter inside the gas tank...replaced the fuel line and cleaned the carb out extensively. Bike still dies going up hill. Should the bike downshift into some sort or low gear on hills. its an 1982 nu50. The bike doesnt have alot of power either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks again guys

Re: honda urban express dies going up hills and hard to start

bike has 6100 miles on it..fyi....could the belt be the issue

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

do a compression check, my guess with that milage it is low and needs a refresh job and/or new cylinder, rings etc.. change your gear oil 2x. and get a new belt. rollers could be flatt sided too. the bike will variate into a lower gearing but you need compression to push it up hills. yes to the belt too. if you need lower end rpms take out 3 weights it will help you going up hills but be sure to check the above mentioned probably needs all of the above (edited)

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

I meant to add this but didnt make the edit deadline

if its hard to start it could be clogged jets(specially idle circuit), fuel delivery/low compression/air leaks/blocked exhuast port or pipe or both. and then theres the chance that it soft siezed on you and you have upper end damage. new plug? airfilter, bad carb tuning may want to pull the cylinder and take a looksee if theres any damage and take measurments for specs.

thanks gruff....i'll check the belt and weights.......ill change the gear oil and check the weights and belt first then start eliminating other issues....your very helpful...

Michael Childers /

I as well have a hard time .I can't even get mine started.I need a diagram of the starting system.to trouble shoot it.but yes these are a gutless wonder .first a old lady passes you on the street in her wheel chair, then you have to wonder if it will make home.

simon thokaar /

rofl.. mines about the same way... only does around 22mph, barely pulls 18 up hills (massive exhaust leak, manifold is cracked). Think i went off the NC50 wiring diagram (had bad grounds) and just use the kickstart cause the battery is dead.

If you were to drop a grand on parts they are scary fast. Know a guy with a 70cc kit, 24mm carb, fancy pipe urban that does 55.

I'm betting it's getting hot and losing compression because the piston is on its last legs. You are trying to kick it over with low compression and I bet you have to get it spinning pretty quick to get it to chug to life. My NC50 did this a few times after long wide open cruises just before the piston and rings went entirely. Check compression while hot.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account