carb not sucking fuel from fuel line..

I cleaned my carb out today, but upon putting it back together, it doesn't start. I noticed no gas is traveling down the line. Petcock and fuel line are not clogged, gas flows from petcock just not when i attach the tube.

What could be causing this? Air leak?

Re: carb not sucking fuel from fuel line..

What bike and carb you have would be helpful. On say a Honda Hobbit, you can installl the float bowl backwards and cause the float needle to not open when the bowl is low. I would check your float to make sure it opens if you tilt the carb upside down and back while you have it removed from the bike of course. you should be able to blow softly on the fuel inlet to test this theory.

if it's the maxi in your profile, and if it's the stock bing:

did you check the filter in the banjo inlet?

also, push down on the "tickler" on top of the bowl, should get fuel running in.

before i install a carb, i blow into the fuel inlet and tip the carb upside down then right, to make sure the float and needle are correct and free.

It's the maxi and it's not the stock bing. It's a dellorto 15.15, i think it's all put together correctly although i'll have to check tomorrow evening.

I did however find that my intake gasket was pretty beat up, i think i ruined it when i was pulling the carb off. But I don't know if that could cause the problem? I feel like it would just cause a performance decrease.

If I suck a little gas into the tube and plug it back into the carb the bike runs fine. It just doesn't draw any more gas down.

Well I heard from mike beez that a not-sucky carb is due to vacuum in the tank from improper or clogged vent hole in your gascap.

I doubt that, I didn't touch the gas cap and it was working fine before. I think it's this gasket

Fun fact. Moped carburetors don't "suck" fuel into the bowl. The fuel is gravity fed. This requires that the gas tank be vented, the petcock not be obstructed, the float to be working correctly and the float bowl being vented.

Emil Kniemel /

Patrick Andrews Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I doubt that, I didn't touch the gas cap and it

> was working fine before. I think it's this gasket

not the same moped, i have a honda hobbit.

i didnt do anything at all and then all of a sudden my gas cap stopped venting correctly-- change in weather (?). just switched out the cap and presto, all good.

try unscrewing the cap and seeing if fuel flows.

so I finally got it working, I just had to 'jump start' the fuel flow i guess. with my mouth. But regardless, I was topping out at 26mph before, and I just broke 32!! Pretty stoked on that. Thanks for all the suggestions, I can't wait to see where I'm at once I replace some of the gaskets!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account