1981 Vespa Ciao wrist pin maybe?

Got my 1981 Vespa CIAO up and running today, and man it is fast. I have stock exaust and it is pretty quiet. I noticed it has a new carb because it is shiney metalic, but I had to be doing well over thirty. I don't know if it has a kit on it or not because the previous owner just bought it from a friend because he was moving. Only problem is it has a little tap noise comming from the engine area. I'm thinking maybe wrist pin. If I keep running it what will happen with the engine if it is a wrist pin? Will it gradually just get worse and then I have to replace the pin or if the wrist pin goes out will it mess up my whole engine. What is involved in removing the head to check the pin, probably have gskets on stand buy incase mine tear when I take the cylinder off? Sould I just try octain boost, or high octain fuel? Maybe it is just a spark knock. It doesn't seem to make the little tap nose all the time sometimes at certain speeds there is a little spot where the engine gets real smooth and no tap noise. What do you think

Re: 1981 Vespa Ciao wrist pin maybe?

I am having the exact same problem with a '79 vespa grande, and super premium fuel with extra octane helped a bit but it still happens to me at high rpm's

Could be caused by advanced timing, check your point gap.

How do I check my point gap and where is it located

Take off the flywheel and the little rubber cover if it's there...and the points are inside. Then open them fully and check with feeler gauge to gap correctly. (edited)

How do I take the fly wheel of, and what is the gap messurement?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account