sputtering and backfire

Michael Bojanowski /

I took the moped out for a cruise today went about a mile and it was running good, then it started to sputter alittle and lightly backfiring, it didn't have much power I got it home but it stalled right in my driveway, now it order for me to start it I got to give it full throttle, but then it only runs for a few seconds then stalls. I noticed smoke coming from where the exhaust pips is smaller then gets fatter, I think there is a gasket there, could my exhaust be clogged up??? The carb. is clean, is it possible the float was sticking and I was getting too much gas, the float sticks now and then. Thanks! Oh yeah I have a 1977 Pinto moped.

Re: sputtering and backfire

John Warren IhazJawas /

clean out the exhaust i had the same issue then try to run it

Michael Bojanowski /

Any body got any other ideas? Thanks!

Clean out the pecock as well. Get an inline fuel filter too.

Remove the exhause, clean the exhause port with a popsicle stick.

Dump some ovencleaner into the exhause pipe and leave it sit for however long the can says for a cold oven and then hose it out.

Dont get the ovencleaner onto anything aluminium or it could be a sad day. (edited)

Michael Bojanowski /

I took the whole exhaust apart, do I spray the oven cleaner in the chrome exhaust part or the baffle that I took out of the exhaust, it looks like the chrome exhaust part is pretty clean inside, its hard to tell how dirty the baffle is, I can't see inside of it.

Michael Bojanowski /

Do I spray the oven cleaner inside and all over the baffle?

Yes. That's what I do. But, I use engine degreaser and spray it all up in there, let it soak for a few hours then rinse with a hose and do it all over again a few times.

There's the camp fire/torch trick, but I've never tried it.

Yes - oven cleaner is designed to clean off baked on grease and oil in a oven that has been heated up lots of time so yes it works better then engine cleaner.

Backfiring sounds like a timing issue.

Both.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account