removing flywheel with a piston stop harmful?

Benevolent Aroh /

I feel like i am putting to much pressure on my crank when I use a piston stop to remove the flywheel nut.. Is there a better alternative?

Re: removing flywheel with a piston stop harmful?

use it in conjunction with an Impact...

Probably Fred /

Ya what he said^^ but hold the flywheel too but only after its on the key and hand tightened a few lb

Don't use an impact wrench to remove or install the flywheel nut. If you don't want to use a piston stop then just use a flywheel holder or a strap wrench.

Probably Fred /

A air impact not a hammer impact does less damage removing any nut.

In fact a very hard to remove reverse thread za50 main gear nut comes right off with much less damage then using a breaker bar .

Yes using a air impact to tighten without adjustable torque setting is gonna damage stuff

Air impact wrenches are great, but they should never be used on a flywheel or clutch nut when using a piston stop.

Stuff bungee in there, geez, then....still hold flywheel when zipping it off.

Hold the flywheel not use a piston stop which will flat spot the bearings... unless you are removing the flywheel to open the cases to swap out crank and bearings then just keep in mind the crown of the piston might have a peened spot in the center from the piston stop.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

ahh dont worry bout it, I do it all the time without a piston stopp. Just check the torque when done.

Lukas McWhorter /

Just put your ratchet on the nut and hit it real quick with a hammer. That is...unless your fortunate enough to have an impact wrench.

John Warren IhazJawas /

i used the rope trick it worked great for me

i'm a strap wrench kinda guy myself. I like the rope in the hole trick for real stuck nuts tho....piston stops are scary. :)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account