Tomos alukit piston destroyed...

So I'm new to this forum and new to moped riding. My tomos sprint 1993 is what I got and its my first :D. Today I was riding it and after 2 weeks of installing and using the new alukit party with head it dies on me....a week after riding I herd a rattling noise and checked the piston rings but they seemed fine. Now my piston has one side all scratched and destroyed and the inside of the engine bore it is a little banged up. I dont know how this happened I have a picture which I will attach.

I have dents in my engine case where the piston goes....I had to hammer out my piston since it seized up and got stuck in there so now i don't know if i have to replace it all. The top rim of it is ass dented as well and parts of the inside of the chrome/aluminum is peeling. I dont want to fork over another couple hundred bucks and have the same thing happen again. If I do have to replace it all, what is a good kit for the tomos? I herd that the puch poloni and metra kits fit the tomos and are way better than an airsal or alukit.

2012-07-29_17-31-21_650dents.JPG
2012-07-29_17-25-51_27.jpg
2012-07-29_17-26-08_895.jpg

Re: Tomos alukit piston destroyed...

Looks like you seized that shit man.

Upjet next time.

Christian Giron /

I'm not sure what you did wrong, but you do not want a polini or a metra kit just yet.

alukits are probably the toughest kit to sieze for a tomos and the easiest for a beginner. You need to learn what you did wrong and continue tuning on a alukit before even thinking about heading to a polini.

Christian Giron /

Walker Quine Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like you seized that shit man.

OH THATSSSSS the problem! I looked at the piston and thought "oh mustve been a bad piston to have come new like that" but now that we have you here, we can finally tell what a seize looks like.

and not everything is about jetting. there are a number of things that may have gone wrong and just telling people to jet correctly is not the way to figure it out.

Christian Giron Wrote:

> Walker Quine Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Looks like you seized that shit man.

>

>

> OH THATSSSSS the problem! I looked at the piston

> and thought "oh mustve been a bad piston to have

> come new like that" but now that we have you here,

> we can finally tell what a seize looks like.

>

> and not everything is about jetting. there are a

> number of things that may have gone wrong and just

> telling people to jet correctly is not the way to

> figure it out.

I am aware of that, I am also aware that the quickest and easiest way to destroy a new kit is by not upjetting.

So I know I seized it up, my concern is if it was a tunning issue on my part? I'm running an 82 jet on a 16.16 dellorto Sha. Like I said I'm new to all this.

El Don Wrote:

> So I know I seized it up, my concern is if it was

> a tunning issue on my part? I'm running an 82 jet

> on a 16.16 dellorto Sha. Like I said I'm new to

> all this.

Did you do a plug chop?

Did you break it in correctly?

Well I attempted to break it in using the directions in the forum, I didn't perform a plug chop I just listened for four stroking and and looking at the ceramic part of the spark and it had a tan color so I thought it would be good....guess not.

And yeah, you are going to need a new piston, cylinder, and rings.

Next time do a plug chop, or run one jet rich to be safe.

Dam ok so that's another hundred bucks there lol. Can I just reuse my head that came with the kit and just buy the bottom cylinder case?

Christian Giron /

What did you set timing to?

Were there air leaks?

What oil ratio did you use?

El Don Wrote:

> Dam ok so that's another hundred bucks there lol.

> Can I just reuse my head that came with the kit

> and just buy the bottom cylinder case?

Yeah, but you will still need a new piston and rings as well.

Ummmmm I don't know anything about timing, but i just used what was on the tank for the pre mix so the ratio is 1:50, should I change that since I changed the engine size? And no there were no air leaks.

Ok thanks man!

El Don Wrote:

> Ummmmm I don't know anything about timing, but i

> just used what was on the tank for the pre mix so

> the ratio is 1:50, should I change that since I

> changed the engine size? And no there were no air

> leaks.

You need to change your timing when you do a kit, and I would have ran 40:1, 50:1 is a bit lean.

Ok so the oil ratio is a simple fix, but what about timing? how do I even begin with that?

El Don Wrote:

> Ok so the oil ratio is a simple fix, but what

> about timing? how do I even begin with that?

Start here:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Ignition_timing

Ok cool, I also have a racing crank that I will install, this will this effect everything else too? So anything specific I have to change when adding a new crank besides timing and replacing seals? Also is there anything in mopedarmy about how to split the case?

What does the underside of the piton look like? Like inside of it looking from the bottom.

Take a pic of that.

ok give me a few min

Probably Fred /

No excuse for running a kit without correct timing or a head temp gauge nowadays .

sorry new to this, I don't know any of this, just simple mechanics/car stuff same concept as a car slightly different

Here ya go, I took pics of different angles

2012-08-02_15-41-15_52.jpg
2012-08-02_15-41-40_525.jpg
2012-08-02_15-42-04_449.jpg

I would leave your timing alone until you can figure out how to not seize your kit in 2 weeks. Your stock timing is fine, and with the right setup and tuning, have you going 50 all day.

post a picture of what your spark plug looked like when you seized it if you still have it. Do you remember what color it was, white? coffee brown? jet black?

Did the bike ever stutter when you were riding it? like it felt like it wasn't getting enough fuel?

Seems to me you have a fuel delivery issue outside of your main jet. An 82 main in a 16.16 she with that kit is pretty average.

what pipe are you running? did you just bolt the kit on and blast wide open for 2 weeks? how did you ride it after installing the kit?

Probably Fred /

A head temp gauge showing under 400 degrees will keep seizes in check.

Back off when you get high 300 degrees and if it gets hot quick then something is wrong

Lukas McWhorter /

You can just clamp a meat thermometer to the the head in a pinch also. Ghetto, but it works.

...I'm on a budget so I know a lot of backwoodsy type ways to keep things running lol.

Ok so the spark plug was coffee colored (I don't have a pic but I will get one up) my bike never stuttered, it seemed to be running fine, at least under my impression. I' am running a techno circuit pipe and I broke in my engine by giving it about 5 heat cycles of just idling and limping the engine. I then proceeded to ride a low low rpm roughly 10 to 15mph, staying in first gear. I did that 2 times, then i brought it up to about 20 to 20pm but interchanging the speed, no constant travel. After that I just rode it like normal after I saw no leaks and no other sounds so i figured it was good. After a good ride I then gave it full throttle to the max. That was that, two weeks later I'm hearing a rattling noise so I open the engine up but the piston rings are solid and no visible damage on the cylinder or rings. i continued to ride and then it seized :(

HAHA SWEET!! Yeah budget is my issue too, thats why I'm sad I destroyed this engine kit.

We're both your clips still in the piston after you seized?

did you gap the rings?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account