DIY Fuel Gauge?

Has anybody come up with some sort of DIY fuel gauge for tomos/puch maxi style mopeds? I know it doesn't hold much, but when it starts getting low its hard to see in there.

Didn't know if anyone has come up with a float style or window style gauge mod/fabrication.

Thanks!

Re: DIY Fuel Gauge?

piece of string

my 50v has a rubber string attached to the gas cap and you can sometimes tell by looking at it

read the comments on this..

https://www.treatland.tv/3-16-to-1-4-fuel-line-splitter-p/fuel-line-splitter.htm

works perfect for me (edited)

Overpriced Parts /

I check with a pc of fuel line I put in the tank like a dip stick.

Having a pc. of fuel line connected to the petcock and taped/fastened to the side of a maxi tank just looks janked

Lukas McWhorter /

I just tap on the tank and listen to the sound.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

the old harley guys actually will put a hole in the bottom of the tank and run a clear line to another hole at the top usually with fancy brass fittings and a clear glass tube, my moby has the string and the sachs you can look right inside.

if your reserve works there is no need for it, go on reserve get gas.

I was thinking about the piece of string/dip stick idea. I was also thinking about dropping a ping pong ball in there, just to make it easier to see where it is floating when you look in there. Don't think there would be any long term effects by that!

Christian Giron /

^^ but wouldn't that make the engine ping?

ZING

Not 100% on it, but i think gasoline should be able to dissolve a ping pong ball. Make sure you do a couple days of testing in a gasoline before you stick any foreign object into your tank.

i know, i was planning on it. i was thinking the same thing. that was the only reason i didn't just drop a ping pong ball in my tank

SkUG SkUGosarus /

I tried a magnetic thermometer, designed for "gas" (LPG) bottles

The idea is that in the morning when you take your moped out of the garage in the morning and the sunlight hits it, the tank heats up quicker than the liquid inside and you can see the level of fuel inside

It works when the sun is shining...

but with the RM4 i try to just fill it up once a fortnight (luckily I can visually check inside)

I like the idea of the string!

you might try the pingpong ball idea with an old carb float. that way, you know it won't dissolve.

I've been thinking about modding one of those fuel caps with a chain and weight attached to them... they are easily found on ebay, but just haven't found one the right size of my maxi lid..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Classic-CB-Honda-Tank-Cap-with-Fuel-Gauge-Asahi-Denso-/261075022452?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cc948b274#ht_972wt_1397

Braap Master Mope /

slewfoot has the right idea. this seems to be the best solution, its a simple idea but ya gotta have the means...(empty tank/¿frame?, drill holes, weld fittings, and such)

check out this build:

http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/846

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i have a superlong fueline and a short one stashed on thee bike.

normally i have the long one on (my petcock is rigged so it only works on the off position matches the reverse on/off switch) it winds around the carb and cdi box so that its topmost loop is at the level the tank is 1/4 full.

there will be an air bubble on top if it goes below that.. it also collects particulates the filter misses in the bottom . if i run out, i have no reserve function. but if i need to. i switch to the small line and i can go another 5 miles.

Troll Arsenault /

i like that

♣Slew Foot♣ /

oh and that thicker black hosing makes nifty fast connects to the neoprine clear thinner line

I got a step through ped with a homemade gauge,

Short line from petcock, connect a splitter,

one line goes down to carb and one is a clear line up to the tree which is level with the top of a step through tank, used a bolt or plug at the end of the line, and just zip tied in place to a random cable. I didn't keep that on there but it appeared to work.

Andrew Squiggman /

ADAM RIS Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I got a step through ped with a homemade gauge,

> Short line from petcock, connect a splitter,

> one line goes down to carb and one is a clear line

> up to the tree which is level with the top of a

> step through tank, used a bolt or plug at the end

> of the line, and just zip tied in place to a

> random cable. I didn't keep that on there but it

> appeared to work.

won't a bolt in the line as a plug keep the gauge from working? it would trap vacuum in there. like when you cover a straw with your finger, and the liquid stays in suspension?

♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the old harley guys actually will put a hole in

> the bottom of the tank and run a clear line to

> another hole at the top usually with fancy brass

> fittings and a clear glass tube, my moby has the

> string and the sachs you can look right inside.

> if your reserve works there is no need for it, go

> on reserve get gas.

I didn't know this was common but I had planned on doing it. Easy to do, easy to read, very low chance of complication.

won't a bolt in the line as a plug keep the gauge

from working? it would trap vacuum in there.

like when you cover a straw with your finger, and

the liquid stays in suspension?

^ It would stop it from working. Similar to a hammer arrester in plumbing, it would trap air in the tube and simply pressurize it as the fuel fought to get to the top. You would have to have an air bleed at the top to allow it to escape. Then it would work.

You could make it work if you used super thin tubing and stuck a jet in the top end. Just have the tube end be higher than you would fill the tank. Probably impossible for it not to look ghetto unless it's done motorcycle style with two holes and brass fittings and all.

Sorry it was a screw with deep threads which i guess vented just enough.

my bad there...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

"but with the RM4 i try to just fill it up once a fortnight (luckily I can visually check inside)

I like the idea of the string!"

a fortnight!!!

henceforth lolz thee idea i likest...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account