Just bought a 78 Motobecane...

...and it's in relatively good shape. Was Hardwired, and had a Dellorto carb put on by the previous owner. One thing i've noticed in comparison to some of the videos ive watched, is that when returning from full variation, the motor sort of bounces, rather than returning smoothly. The belt is definitely old- perhaps a bit stretched? Could this be the problem? Suggestions?

Re: Just bought a 78 Motobecane...

Check the silentblocs on the upper engine mount is not soft or torn, also the upper bolt should not be super tight but loose enough to allow the engine to swing without torquing the silentblocs.

Variator greased?

I haven't greased it, so I guess it's best to assume no. I'll check the blocks as well.

Regarding the grease, I need a special fitting for the grease gun, correct? Where do I get one? Also, what grease is best?

General purpose grease will work. A greaser for a chain saw will feed grease into it properly

I'll try it out. Thanks!

How many shots should I give it?

It does not take much, only 2 or 3 shots because you do not want too much grease in there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account