Tomos A3 ignition replacement, Puch?

Alexander Wilson /

So my modded little Tomos A3 STILL hasnt had its ignition sorted due to lack of funds. The stator plate is a mess, the points are well and truly gone, the flywheel is beyond repair as the locating pin has torn the keyway to shreds.

Now I've just spotted an ignition for a Puch Maxi but not sure whether its ZA50 or what... I was wondering if you guys would be able to let me know if this would bolt up okay as its in my budget...

Puch ignition link

as far as I know, the A3 ignition is compatible with A35s, so if it'll fit an A35, that should be enough reason to buy it!

Re: Tomos A3 ignition replacement, Puch?

Alexander Wilson /

Any ideas anyone? Need to know before I buy :(

this'll work and it's only 45 bucks and new. and includes the coil. for the puch one i think you'd need a puch HT coil. not really sure. should both fit tho, but the timing cam for the points on the puch one may not line up right. probably wont

get the treats one, easy peasy and budget

You'll have to run the puch flywheel without the key and time it with the flywheel. The e50 also turns the opposite direction so you'll be running it backwards, a za50 ignition would work. You could use the ignition from a newer tomos, but you will need all the matching pieces that go with it (Flywheel, stator and cdi/coil).

Alexander Wilson /

I live in the uk, so shipping is as much as the actual part :( isn't the points cam integral to the flywheel, or do you mean cause the stator doesn't line up as it would on the puch I'd have to retime it? As I can easily retime an engine

the puch za50 treats cdi works well on an a3. just make sure it's actually the za50 model, and not the e50 model, with the sensor on the other side of the stator. you can still use the woodruff key, everything should bolt on easy, just time it up and blast. treats cdi's aren't super duper reliable though, i've heard.

Lukas McWhorter /

I've got a ZA50 flywheel I can send you for like 5 bucks shipping. Its in great shape. PM me if you want it. Its off my parts bike so its just collecting dust otherwise.

Have you sold that flywheel already? I'm extremely interested in it!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account