za50 main shaft nut (reverse-thread) damn thing is stuck.

So awhile back I hadnt torqued the nut down enough as it basically could be undone by hand. It got knocked loose somehow i suppose.. But anyways, I made sure it wouldnt happen again by torquing the nut down nice and tight and also used some red threadlocker. Well now i need to take the damn thing apart again to get to a seal and it is not budging with the sprocket jammed with a socket + engine in a vice. Any tips? Torch it maybe? I've started to try and machine a homemade device based on the puch tool for the job but who knows if that would be any better.

Thanks guys,

Ant

Re: za50 main shaft nut (reverse-thread) damn thing is stuck.

Just a warning on the torch (which you will need heat to get red Loctite off) watch out for the springs.

use blue loctite next time if you need to remove it in the future.

use a standard socket. there is one that fits really tight. grind the bevel off the mouth of it.

Overpriced Parts /

Zip zip air impact Done

Michael Thomas /

YEP...few blasts with an air gun or ratchet.

ended up using the torch. No direct flame, just a few minutes to get real hot and bam. Though it slipped but it knocked it loose. Love it when that shit happens. Taking note of using the blue though. I think sometimes I just have that urge to use the red.. it never gets much use anyways.

Btw on my new tranny side seal it looks like it has only one sealing lip, while the other had two? I guess that's just how some are made. Sealing lip towards trans right?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account