Re: Two Puch Maxis won't idle

Colin Griffin /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Returning to the old problem...I didn't have much time for the last month to work on the bikes, but I finally went through a number of the suggestions I got on here the other day. I have not checked/done the following, and still no idle:

-Checked fuel flow both at the petcock and at the carb itself (took the bowl off and it flowed steadily - stopped when I pushed the float up)

-Tried all of the needle clip settings.

-Tried jets from 64-70. Seems to run best around 68 or 70 at WOT, but still won't idle. Would try higher if anyone thinks it would help, but I'd have to order them.

-Cleaned the carb thoroughly.

-Sealed a couple air leaks.

-Did the slide mod a few people recommended

-New Spark plug

-Checked compression

-Checked exhaust for blockages

After all this it still runs fine when moving, it just won't idle. When started, if I just let it sit there, it will run fine for about three minutes or so until it warms up, then it starts to struggle a little, and within a minute will stall. When riding it, if I keep the throttle open a bit at stop lights I can keep it running, but unless I do this also while braking, it will stall as it decelerates. Also, if I don't hold the throttle open enough and the idle gets too low, it takes forever to pick back up. I open the throttle all the way and it struggles for a few seconds before kicking back in. If anyone has any other ideas of what I could try, I'd greatly appreciate it!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account