75cc polini minarelli v1 troubles

trevor stull /

so i recently got a 75cc kit for my general and its fun as hell for like 15 minutes and then it shuts off super suddenly. it normally happens when I'm getting in the high rpms. i have the cooling fan so i don't thinks its overheating. my kit has super high compression that I'm trying to decompress but could that be the issue?

Re: 75cc polini minarelli v1 troubles

You need to set your ignition timing to 21 degrees BTDC (note this is not the stock ignition timing). Gap your plug 0.025 inches.

Also the fan won't save you from overheating if you're jetted improperly. Get a head temp. gauge ; under 400*F is fine for V1s.

What do you mean you're trying to decompress???

trevor stull /

adding a base gasket to have more space and less compression. thanks for the advice this has been annoying

did you upjet when you put the kit on....?

Sounds like your soft seizing.

-Aron

Ron Chappell /

I would also be putting a little extra oil in the fuel for the first tank or so.

I'm breaking in a stock V1 right now with a 30-1 mix that is keeping things well lubed. (no synthetic until the rings seat - I would figure five hours or so ...at the least.) jmho

trevor stull /

i upjetted to a 90 but I'm playing around with high 80s low 90s until i find what i like. i think I'm running an 88 right now. could the issue be my condenser? to me it seems like I'm just losing spark suddenly. although i am able to start it back up immediately

Good rule. Put a new condenser in every bike you ever buy. What color is the spark?

^haha yes we know this very well by now!

-Aron

trevor stull /

spark is blue. new condenser is on its way

Good plan with the condenser, change that and then let us know what happens.

Why did you order a condenser by the way..... You can buy them at

Napa

Car Quest

Auto Zone

O Reiley's

Action Autoparts

blah blah blah

It's also a good idea to go ahead and make it external while you're at it. That way it is easier to change and it won't get so hot.

-Aron

super high compression is a the death to 2 stroke engine. How about taking it apart and seeing what the problem is instead of just guessing.

Heat, is the killer.. plus the age of them. If you just "throw a kit on it" .. then your end for a surpise when the crankseals start giving .. there self away.

50:1 is what you should be running that with high test gas and the best 2 stroke you can find. TCW-3!

Josh Besecker /

sorry to thread jack, but...

Ed, what is "too much" compression for a v1? I just pulled my headgasket and I jumped from 125 to 160 on the compression tester...

ha i had the same crap goinig on, the external condenser did it... but now more trouble and power loss

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account