Beta Moped - No power, no idle, on kickstand runs OK

Hey MA's mechanics, this is really strange problem, at least for me. Have a 1978 Beta SL5 NOS, no miles. It starts great on the kickstand, but idles a little too high. Can't adjust idle speed as rear wheel is spinning, and lowering idle too much stops the engine. Also, dropping off the kickstand onto the road will stop it too. I thought it may be a stuck starter clutch, but I drained out the tranny fluid, cracked open the transmission case, and everything is loose and moving smoothly. I even went as far as to remove the starter clutch (large circlip after removing the nut with a ball bearing). The 12-odd pads all look firm and not tacky at all, in fact they look new! I gently cleaned them anyway with rubbing alcohol. I bunished a little rust off the metal clutch plate with a dremel tool, then tried to remove the drive clutch flywheel. Unfortunately, I do not have a flywheel removal tool, so I gave up there. While open, I used brake cleaner spray to see if there was any issue with the drive clutches. The springs keep the drive pads back, but I can move each to the drive bell using a small screwdriver against the sprint links (there are 3 of these). As the rear wheel spins, I am assuming the drive clutches are good. Nothing is sticking anywhere in the tranny/clutch. I put everything back together, filled her up with ATF and - same problem! This is driving me nuts! Any suggestions from the experts?

I have rebuilt the Dellorto 14.9 also and all looks new there as well.

Re: Beta Moped - No power, no idle, on kickstand runs OK

Anyone got any suggestions on this problem?

did you check the engine for air leaks? those are pretty much idle killers

airleaks agreed. also i've been working on a beta we're raffling off at our rally (shameless plug: swoops rally atlanta august 10-12)

and the starter lever gets stuck. regularly. even with the cable disconnected the engagement lever still gets stuck in, and for a while it'd take some serious shoving/prying to get it to disengage.

the easiest way to tell if it is a clutch issue is to pedal start it on the ground, like while riding (which is insane because the pedal gears are so short that pedaling as fast as possible you're barely going walking speed... ha)

but yea start it while riding and see if it goes. even if the clutch is sticking it should be rideable that way until you come to a stop.

if NOT, then something else is wrong, likely in the carb or as above mentioned, airleaks.

CHEERS!

what all did you have to do to get your beta running? I'm trying to gather info on the Betas and specifically on restoring the recently recovered NOS ones

Restoration I have done so far:

1. total rebuild of Delorto SHA 14.9

2. replace copper exhaust gasket & intake gasket.

3. replace condenser & filed points shiny (metal nailfile)

4. R&R transmission oil. Opened tranny case, cleaned starter pads of old oil, burnished the starter clutch metal plate free of rust. Tightened starter clutch spring. Replaced with AT fluid type "F"

5. replaced spark plug

6. washed out tank with kerosene (slight rust dusting)

7. replaced petcock with one from a Garelli (mine was leaking)

She kicked right up, and ran for about 5 miles, bogged down and died. I thought the starter clutch got hot & gummy and stuck to the plate, but reopening the 2nd time, it looked fine. I used the carb starter spray to check for air leaks, but none. Besides I used a new intake bushing when rebuilding the Delorto. And here I am today. :(

What the hell is a beta?

C'mon...pics..guys.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,813710,813710

Here is one that is in rough condition. Mine was right out of the dusty crate 0 miles.

Frank Pfeiffer Wrote:

> She kicked right up, and ran for about 5 miles,

> bogged down and died. I thought the starter clutch

> got hot & gummy and stuck to the plate, but

> reopening the 2nd time, it looked fine. I used the

> carb starter spray to check for air leaks, but

> none. Besides I used a new intake bushing when

> rebuilding the Delorto. And here I am today. :(

I've had to do about the exact same things. and have the same problem. dies when hot or after about 5 min. , but it's not condenser tried 2 new ones no difference, and on top of that points don't arc and when it dies the spark's still good. i wound up tearing the whole thing down thinking maybe it was seals but they're good too.

Now I'm leaning pretty hard toward the reeds. they don't seat very well to begin with and have a fair bit of blowback. But I'm also noticing a wierd squeaky toot sort of noise when it dies, and also when i try to start it up after it's died. it's not a head leak type of squeak either - really sounds like reeds. maybe they bend out more when hot or somethin, i dunno. but yea, i'd love to figure these out.

Where are the reed valves? I just see the piston when removed the intake pipe?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account