82 Honda Urban Express Exhaust situation

My origonal exhaust busted in half at the flange 2 weeks ago. I tryed to be a hero and JB weld it and used some quick steel too. Well on the first city pothole I hit it busted right apart. Long story short, I went on a muffler hunt and I found a origonal stock Hobbit muffler ( witch I think is the one I should use) and a 81 express muff. wich I thought would be the same but its too short. Ques 1. Will this hobbit muff fit on my 82 express? If so here my next prob./ Of corse the only way to see if it will work is to remove the kickstand and I used PB Blaster/ a torch I CANT get that darn thing off for the life of me ( same when I tryed to get the one off my parts bike\ also 82 urban) any suggestions?? Im at the point where I just bought a welder yesterday, I suppose Ill grind off as much JB weld off as possible and try to weld the busted in half one back together, I made a huge mess of it though in hopes that itll work but it just cracked again. My other thought is that if the origonal becomes scrap, cut a section of pipe off of it and cut the express muff pipe in half and add the extra piece and bend it to make it work. I really dont want to do that. OR just cut the kickstand off and now that I don t have the bolt holes where the kickstand was Id basically have to tack weld the hobbit muff to under the moped and I REALLY dont wanna do that either.. Any tips on how to get this weird issue taken care off. Im new to the moped world and I feel I made some rookie mistakes collecting wrong parts thinking theyll easily work. Thanx for taking the time to read this...

Re: 82 Honda Urban Express Exhaust situation

If you have a welder you can do whatever you want.Use the header pipe off either exhaust and weld it to your original muffler or any combination that you want to make.If it was me and I had to weld up a new exhaust anyways I would find an old pocketbike pipe,dirtbike pipe,or some other moped expansion chamber exhaust and hack/weld up something that is gonna give better sound and performance.Then new air filter,then upjet,then reeds,then porting,......

Awsome Thanx!! Does the stock hobbit exhaust ( " small square boxy looking one") fit on a NU50 with minimum mods if the kickstand is off?

If you could get it on there it would hang down pretty low.Maybe you could cut it and weld it up so its sideways similar to the original but a lot of work for a stock exhaust.And you would need to rig up a kickstand if you remove factory one

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

if your taking the kickstand off just go proma pipe and dont look back

cool Ill look into the proma pipe as well I actually have 2 NU50s to fix up.

will the proma give me added speed? Im only at 25 -26 mph now Id like to get to 33 or so. Was gonna do the belt recommendations Ive seen on here. A random guy who has a bunch of old hondas told me that hes seen NU50s gain speed with a old hobbit muff put on. Thats why I was so all about putting a hobbit exhaust on it

pa pipe will fit, but spit exhaust/oil directly onto the middle of your tire, not ideal.

what did you mean by now that I don t have the bolt holes where the kickstand was ?

a proma pipe will get you close to 40.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

getting a hobbit stock muffler to fit an NU sounds like an awful lot of work for something that would be such minimal gain. Im not convinced that would raise your mph to begin with , mayb 2 mph at best. Adding a proma should get you to 35+ easy, best deal in town for a bolt on. and use bx31 belt to gain a few more mph and take 3 weights out, to get your lowend back.

Unless you have a Iowa edition Nu you should be hitting 30+ so you have other issues as well, maybe just a new belt or port/pipe blockage. but definilty something aint right as it is. unless you weigh 250

I was under the impression that even if I cut the bolt its still threaded in but thats not the case. If my NU50 hits 26-27 then boggs down to 24 then shoots back up to 27 again but it feels like it wants to go much faster. This happens every other 3 seconds (its gets slightly better when warmed up but nothing too great). Carb issue? clean jets with some carb cleaner?? thanx for all the tips guys! Tonite Im going to attempt to get all the JB Weld and quick steel off the origonal muffler and hopefully I can get a clean weld where its busted in half. And I think Id like to try a proma pipe on my 2nd NU50.

Gruff "(OFMC)" - /

you got to tear the carb down to clean it right, use carb cleaner to spray the inside after taking apart all the screws including jets, bowl, idle and mixture screws and float get an air compressor and blow it out after using the carb cleaner. check your fuel flow to the carb, take the line off the carb, should be a steady full stream coming out of the line. clogged exhaust port and pipe could also be issue, oh i forgot you dont have a pipe on it. could be mutiple things. could be airleak. start with the fuel flow and carb and go from there

Will do.. Are there gasket kits for NU50 carb avail these days or will I need to make my own cork gaskets?

proma pipe's rad.

cut your own gaskets. you can order gasket and carb rebuild kits sometimes from big spots like bikebandit but they're way overpriced. DIY FTW

i also highly recommend the new belt. in my experience that's the most common thing holding those back when they're not performing right.

yeah thats what I was thinkin too..

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Cutting a gasket for a Honda carb is not recommended. Which ones are you going to cut? They're o-rings and a funky shaped rubber float bowl gasket. You're not going to be able to reproduce these. Just be very careful with them, especially the bowl gasket. It tends to expand when removed from it's groove, and hard to make it stay when pitting it back together.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

dang, that's cheaper than i'd though.

but it's just 2 o-rings and the float bowl gasket, which if the carb's not leaking you dont need to replace it anyway

yeah Im just gonna buy the gaskets.

that is the one, but you need to remove your kickstand to mount it up. you can use one of these up so you dont have to lean your bike on something.

swwweeeeetttttttt! Thanx Chris

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account