1985 Garelli questions. PLEASE HELP!!

Hey everyone, I just acquired a 1985 Garelli Basic. I'm relatively new to the whole Moped thing but its alot of fun! Upon getting this bike I cleaned the carb and tightened the clutch cable and it fired up, I was impressed. However, after about a week of running it off and on it decided it no longer wanted to kick over. I took apart the whole thing looking for an issue and I believe I found it. The cylinder has grooves...UGH! evidently the previous owner ran it without a filter and sand got all in there and ruined it...I also notices 0 gaskets...yeah I dont really know how it ran either...

So my question is, what do I do? Like I said im very new to this so excuse my ignorance....I obviously want/need a new piston/cylinder...but i dont have a clue where to go or what to get. Ive done some research but Im tired of getting the run around, I want straight answers!

If anyone has any advice please let me know! Thanks

Re: 1985 Garelli questions. PLEASE HELP!!

i dont know if your new or not but here are some basic part sites. 1977mopeds treatland.tv themopedjunkyard

very new, this is my third post actually. i know some of the sites, but i dont know what im looking for...

idk what kind of motor i have, what kind of kit im looking for, what i need to do if i do get a kit...

Post some photos of your engine so we can see exactly what you have there.

Here are some manuals that will help you replace the cylinder and piston:

http://www.mopedcentral.com/images/AmericanGarelliServiceManual.pdf

http://www.mopedcentral.com/images/GarelliEngineServiceManual.pdf

Hopefully the pictures work! here is what i know about it so far:

i believe there is an aftermarket pipe on it, it seems to fit like crap so i came to that conclusion, also its loud as hell. it has a dillorto carb, it says 16/16 on it...im not entirely sure what that means... how do I upjet? what will that do

DSC00787-1.jpg
DSC00788-1.jpg
DSC00789-1.jpg

well I just spent 30 mins writing all about my bike...but the admin wont let me edit my post or something stupid like that....anyway pics are posted!

good info! I kept seeing noi thrown around but being so new to this I didnt know what it meant. Are there any kits that are cheaper than the $250 polini? I'm so broke its not even funny...

I think Treatland sometimes has them a little cheaper:

http://www.treatland.tv/garelli-NOI-polini-kit-p/garelli-polini-noi-70cc-kit.htm (edited)

Awesome info Brian! thanks alot man. Im going to put my nose to the grind stone and try to make some extra money to buy this. Is there any way to pick up the factory kit? Im liking the price a little better but im still a bit out of range, maybe a stock 50cc kit would be cheaper?

first that is definitely an aftermarket pipe. stock pipe wouldn't have an expansion chamber. that carb is also not stock. a 14.12 SHA would be stock. the only kits that are "bolt on" would be the polini, malossi, and a couple others. only problem is the polini is the only one available readily. if you want a 50cc, you would have to find a good used stock cylinder from someone here on the buy/sell. treats has stock pistons.

being new, you should definitely go with a stock cylinder and get it going that way first.

lots of good garelli guys on here. good threads if you search and want to learn a little more.

That's a sweet bike you got there with some seriously cool parts on it already. I don't know if you saw but you could buy a complete NOI on Treats for $150 right now. It is always good to have spare stuff to when you have these finicky Italian engines.

Garelli NOI Used

-Aron

I'm about to put that same carb on my garelli. Looks like the float bowl rests right on the head. Is that no bueno?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account